Graduate Advanced Practice Certificates FAQS

If you are a graduate certificate student, a full-time plan can be completed in one year. Part time plans are available for 2 years.

AGCNS, CM, PCNS, FNP, accepts applications for Spring or Fall semester start.

PNHNP, accepts application for Fall start only.  

  • Advanced practice nursing certification and/or credentialing.
  • Master degree in nursing from a program accredited by a national organization responsible for nursing accreditation (e.g. Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN), Commission for Nursing Education Accreditation (CNEA) or Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE). 
  • Advanced Pharmacology, Advanced Pathophysiology and Advanced Health Assessment courses. These 3 courses must be across the lifespan and need to be completed prior to applying for the program.

For additional admission requirements, see the Applying to the Graduate Certificate Program.

Most students find taking two courses per semester allows time for work and a personal life. If, however, you plan to work full time and you have significant family and community obligations, one course per semester is recommended.

For every one credit hour in which you enroll, you will spend approximately two to three hours outside of class studying to ensure successful completion of course. Additional time may be necessary depending on your computer literacy, reading comprehension, and writing skills.

For estimated tuition fees, see Missouri Online. Additional costs may include technology, clinical, or health insurance fees, as well as books. As our program is distanced-mediated, out-of-state tuition fees are not applicable. The University reserves the right to increase or decrease the fees charged for attendance and other services at the University when the Board of Curators considers it in the best interest of the University to do so.

Financial assistance programs are available. Contact the Nursing Student Affairs Office at 573-882-0277 or 800-437-4339 for further information. Positions as teaching assistants also are available and may provide tuition assistance.

For further information about financial assistance for graduate programs, contact the MU Office of Student Financial Aid at 573-882-7506.

Please see the information for Prospective Graduate Students.

General questions about the GC program and specific questions about applying to the GC Program can be answered by the staff in the Office of Student Affairs in the Sinclair School of Nursing. You may contact the Office of Student Affairs via telephone at 573-882-0277 or 800-437-4339 or email Leslie McPeak. For more specific information regarding the GC program that you cannot find on the MU Sinclair School of Nursing website or in the MU Sinclair School of Nursing Graduate Nursing Handbook, please contact Miriam Butler.