The MU Sinclair School of Nursing offers the Nursing Scholars Program for incoming freshmen who are Honors College eligible. Applications to join Nursing Scholars are sent out early in the student’s first semester on campus. Eligibility requirements for students starting at Mizzou in the fall 2024 semester are:
- Incoming MU freshman
- Admitted to the Honors College (see Honors College for eligibility)
Students who enrolled at Mizzou prior to fall 2024 should refer to the requirements on the Canvas Nursing BSN website.
Application to the Clinical Nursing Progam
Nursing Scholars who are ready to apply to the clinical nursing program may select the direct admission option if they meet the following criteria:
- Admitted as a first-time college student with a declared pre-nursing major
- Maintain Honors College status
- Earn a minimum 3.8 pre-nursing GPA at the time of application (The pre-nursing GPA is comprised of pre-nursing courses only)
- Complete 12 credit hours of Honors College courses during their pre-nursing semesters**
- Complete at least 8 hours of job shadowing in at least one area of nursing
- Additional activities may be required of pre-nursing and clinical Nursing Scholars:
- Assist with nursing recruitment events
- Attending seminars and/or educational opportunities
**Before applying for clinical admission, a minimum of 6 of the 12 Honors College credit hours must be completed and the student must have the remaining 6 credit hours in progress.
Please note: Being admitted to the MU Honors College is NOT the same thing as being a Nursing Scholar. Honors College students do NOT have direct admission into the clinical nursing courses; they must apply to become a Nursing Scholar. Nursing Scholars are given direct admission into clinical nursing if they maintain all Honors College AND Nursing Scholars eligibility requirements (as stated above).