Jeanette Lancaster Alumni Professorship in Nursing – University of Virginia
Graduate Faculty Status – Yes
DNP Doctoral Faculty Status – Yes
PhD Doctoral Faculty Status – Yes
Program of Research
Domestic violence is a major health problem for women and children as well as a significant social issue. My research has focused on domestic violence in a population of pregnant women and has included collaborating with nurses nationally and internationally and with members of other disciplines on the MU campus. Specifically, I have investigated the prevalence of intimate partner violence, its consequences to mother and fetus, and intervention strategies to improve health outcomes in both the woman and child. This research not only addresses a gap in knowledge but also is providing evidence-based practice recommendations for clinical practice. It has also been useful in advising legislators and policymakers in their development of programs to aid this vulnerable population.
A secondary focus of my research has been on researching smoking cessation programs targeting women of reproductive age. I have implemented a randomized controlled trial testing a nurse-delivered telephone social support intervention for low-income rural pregnant women in Missouri who smoke. I have also collaborated with members of the Department of Family and Community Medicine targeting not only the woman who smokes but also her partner if he smokes. Additionally, my colleagues from the Department of Family and Community Medicine and I have been involved in several other tobacco cessation initiatives.
Selected Grants, Honors and Awards
- T32 Interdisciplinary Research Training in Health Behavior Research. NIH/National Institute of Nursing Research, Armer, J., & Bullock, L. (Co-PIs), 2018–2021
- Biological underpinnings of maternal attachment in high risk populations, NIH/National Institute of Nursing Research, K23 (Alhusen, PI), Bullock, L., (Mentor), 2015 – 2018
- Minority supplement to Perinatal Nurse Home Visiting Enhanced with mHealth Technology, NIH/NICHD, R01, (Camille Burnett, PI), Bullock, L., (Mentor), 2014-2016
- Perinatal Nurse Home Visiting Enhanced with mHealth Technology, NIH/NICHD, R01, Sharps, P., & Bullock, L. (Co-PIs), 2012-2018
- Violence Enhanced Home Visitation Program – DOVE, NIH/National Institute of Nursing Research RO1, Sharps, P. & Bullock, L. (Co-PIs), 2006 – 2011
- Nursing Support: Better Infant Outcomes in Violent Homes, NIH/National Institute of Child Health and Human Development, R01, Bullock, L. (PI), 2005-2009
- Nursing Smoking Cessation Intervention during Pregnancy, NIH/National Institute of Nursing Research, R01, Bullock, L. (PI), 2001- 2006
- Excellence in Education Award, Nursing Network on Violence against Women International, 2015
- Leadership Excellence Award: Nurse Researcher, Virginia Nurses Foundation, 2014
- Distinguished Professor Award, University of Virginia Nursing Alumni Association, 2013
- Honorary Alumni Award, MU Sinclair School of Nursing, 2011
- Faculty Alumni Award, MU Alumni Association, 2009
- Inducted, Fellow of the American Academy of Nursing, 2003
- Bullock, L., Ghazarian, S., Nimer, M., Signing, L., Herbell, K., Farje, D., … & Sharps, P. (2021). Children exposed to IPV: Impact of multiple father figures. Maternal and Child Health Journal, 25, 1-8. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10995-021-03184-6
- Öztürk, R., Bloom, T. L., Li, Y., & Bullock, L. F. (2021). Stress, stigma, violence experiences and social support of us infertile women. Journal of Reproductive and Infant Psychology, 39(2), 205-217.
- Emezue, C. N., Enriquez, M., Dougherty, D. S., Bullock, L. F., & Bloom, T. L. (2021). Rural young males’ acceptance & receptiveness to technology-based interventions for dating violence prevention: A qualitative descriptive study. Journal of Adolescence, 92, 137-151.
- Li, Y., Dong, F., Bullock, L. F., & Bloom, T. (2021). Exploring help-seeking experiences of Chinese immigrant survivors of intimate partner violence in the US. Psychological Trauma: Theory, Research, Practice, and Policy. Advance online publication. http://dx.doi.org/10.1037/tra0001120
- Li, Y., Dong, F., Bullock, L. F., Liu, Y., & Bloom, T. (2021). ‘It never goes away’: Chinese immigrant women’s experiences of intimate partner violence. Psychology of Violence. Advance online publication. http://dx.doi.org/10.1037/vio0000400
- Nguyen, A. J., Roe, J., Jeharsae, R., Samankasikorn, W., & Bullock, L.(2021). Exploring the daily lives and well-being of orphaned adolescents affected by the armed conflict in Thailand’s deep south. Journal of Adolescent Research, 07435584211043294.
- Liu, X., Yan, G., Bullock, L., Barksdale, D. J., & Logan, J. G. (2021). Sleep moderates the association between arterial stiffness and 24-hour blood pressure variability. Sleep Medicine, 83, 222-229.
- Gwon, S. H., Jeong, S., & Bullock, L. (2021). Cotinine fluctuation in maternal saliva during and after pregnancy: Implications for perinatal outcomes. MCN: The American Journal of Maternal/Child Nursing, 46(5), 293-298.
- Burnett, C., Crowder, J., Bacchus, L. J., Schminkey, D., Bullock, L., Sharps, P., & Campbell, J. (2021). “It Doesn’t Freak Us Out the Way It Used to”: An evaluation of the Domestic Violence Enhanced Home Visitation Program to inform practice and policy screening for IPV. Journal of Interpersonal Violence, 36(13-14), NP7488-NP7515.
- Li, Y., Bloom, T., Herbell, K., & Bullock, L. F. (2020). Prevalence and risk factors of intimate partner violence among Chinese immigrant women. Journal of Advanced Nursing, 76(10), 2559-2571.
- Herbell, K., Li, Y., Bloom, T., Sharps, P., & Bullock, L. F. (2020). Keeping it together for the kids: New mothers’ descriptions of the impact of intimate partner violence on parenting. Child Abuse & Neglect, 99, 104268.
- Herbell, K., Banks, A. J., Bloom, T., Li, Y., & Bullock, L. F. (2020). Priorities for support in mothers of adolescents in residential treatment. Children and Youth Services Review, 110, 104805.
- Mitchell, E. M., Lothamer, H., Garcia, C., Marais, A. D., Camacho, F., Poulter, M., … Bullock, L. & Smith, J. S. (2020). Acceptability and feasibility of community-based, lay navigator-facilitated at-home self-collection for human papillomavirus testing in underscreened women. Journal of Women’s Health, 29(4), 596-602.
- Li, Y., Herbell, K., Bloom, T., Sharps, P., & Bullock, L. F. (2020). Adverse childhood experiences and mental health among women experiencing intimate partner violence. Issues in Mental Health Nursing, 41(9), 785-791.
- Herbell, K., Li, Y., Bloom, T., Sharps, P., Bullock, L. (2019). The Impact of Lifetime Trauma on Parenting. Child Abuse and Neglect. (In Press).
- Samankaskorn, W., Alhusen, J., Yan, G., Schminkey, D., & Bullock, L. (2018). Reproductive coercion, intimate partner violence, and unintended pregnancy in the Pregnancy Risk Assessment monitoring system. Journal of Obstetric, Gynecologic, & Neonatal Nursing, 48(1), 50-58.
- St. Ivany, A., Kools, S., Sharps, P., & Bullock, L. (2018). Extreme control and instability: Insight into head injury from intimate partner violence. Journal of Forensic Nursing, 14 (4), 198-205.
- St Ivany, A., Bullock, L., Schminkey, D., Wells, K., Sharps, P., & Kools, S. (2018). Living in fear and prioritizing safety: Exploring women’s lives after traumatic brain injury from intimate partner violence. Qualitative Health Research, 28(11), SI, pg 1708-1718.
- Kuasit, U., Chunuan, S., Hattakit, U., & Bullock, L. (2018). The effects of the resilience-enhancing nursing program on life goals among pregnant teenagers: A randomized controlled trial. Songklanagarind Journal of Nursing, 38(1), 35-45.
- Coyne, B., Kennedy, C., Self, A., & Bullock, L. (2018). A comprehensive approach to undergraduate nursing students’ research experiences. Journal of Nursing Education, (57), 1, 58-62. DOI: 10.3928/01484834-20180102-12.