408C Sinclair School of Nursing
University of Missouri
Columbia, MO 65211
Program of Research
Dr. Hulett’s program of research focuses on complementary and integrative health approaches to promote well-being in individuals with a chronic disease, including those affected by breast cancer.
Selected Grants, Honors and Awards
- Feasibility of a mantram repetition program to promote well-being in women with breast cancer – University of Missouri Research Council Grant, 2020
- Testing the feasibility of an 8-week mantram repetition intervention in early cancer survivorship – National Institutes of Health / National Center for Complementary & Integrative Health, 2019 – 2021
- Interdisciplinary Training in Cancer, Aging, and End of Life Care – National Institutes of Health / National Institute of Nursing Research, T32NR01456, (Beck & Pepper, MPIs), (Hulett, Awardee), 2015 – 2017
- Describing Day of Death – SIGMA, Gamma Rho Chapter, 2016
- Relationships between Religious/Spiritual Variables and Salivary Alpha Amylase, Cortisol, and Interleukin-6 in Breast Women with Breast Cancer – Ellis Fischel Cancer Center Donor Fund, 2015
- Religiousness/Spirituality and Neuroendocrine Function in Breast Cancer Survivors – University of Missouri Interdisciplinary Center on Aging, Research Enrichment and Dissemination (READ), 2013
- Religiousness/ Spirituality and Neuroendocrine Function in Breast Cancer Survivors – SIGMA, Alpha Iota chapter, 2013
(Note: *peer-reviewed publications; #data-based)
- *#Hulett, JM, Abshire, DA, Armer, JM, Millspaugh, R, & Millspaugh, J. (2020). Rural-urban differences in neuroimmune biomarkers and health status among women living with breast cancer. Cancer Nursing: An International Journal for Cancer Care. Advance online publication. doi: 10.1097/NCC.0000000000000802.
- *Kim, JS, Hulett, JM, Heiney, SP. (2020). Forgiveness and health outcomes in cancer survivorship: A scoping review. Cancer Nursing: An International Journal for Cancer Care. Advance online publication. doi: 10.1097/NCC.0000000000000809
- *Eaton, LH; Narkthong, N; & Hulett, JM. (2020). Psychosocial issues associated with breast cancer-related lymphedema: A literature review. Current Breast Cancer Reports, 1-9. (Invited manuscript) Advance online publication. Doi: 10.1007/s12609-020-00376-x.
- *#Hulett, JM, Fessele, KL, Clayton, MF, & Eaton, LH. (2019). Rigor and reproducibility: A systematic review of salivary cortisol sampling and reporting parameters used in cancer survivorship research. Biological Research in Nursing, 21(3), 318-334. Doi.org/10.1177/1099800419835321.
- *Eaton, LH, Hulett, JM, Langford, DJ, & Doorenbos, AZ. (2019). How theory can help facilitate implementing relaxation as a complementary pain management approach. Pain Management Nursing, 20(3), 207-213. Doi: 10.1016/j.pmn.2018.12.008. (Invited manuscript)
- *Eaton, LH, & Hulett, JM. (2019). Mind-body interventions in the management of chronic cancer pain. Seminars in Oncology Nursing, 35(3), 241-252. Doi: 10.1016/j.soncn.2019.04.005. (Invited manuscript)
- *#Heiney, SP, Parker, PD, Felder, TM, Adams, SA, Omofuma, OO, & Hulett, JM. (2019). A systematic review of interventions to improve adherence to endocrine therapy. Breast Cancer Research and Treatment, 173(3), 499-510. Doi: 10.1007/s10549-018-5012-7.
- *#Hulett, JM, Armer, JM, Leary, E, Stewart, BR, McDaniel, R, Smith, K, Millspaugh, R, & Millspaugh, J. (2018). Religiousness, spirituality, and salivary cortisol in breast cancer survivorship: A pilot study. Cancer Nursing: An International Journal for Cancer Care, 41(2), 166-175. Doi: 10.1097/NCC.0000000000000471.
- *#Clayton, MF; Hulett, JM, Kaur, K; Reblin, M; Wilson, A; Ellington, L. (2017). Nursing Support of Home Hospice Caregivers on the Day of Cancer Patient Death. Oncology Nursing Forum, 44(4), 457-464. Doi: 10.1188/17.ONF.457-464.
- *#Reblin, M, Clayton, MF, Xu, J, Hulett, JM, Latimer, S, Donaldson, G, & Ellington, L. (2017). Caregiver, patient, and nurse visit communication patterns in cancer home hospice. Psycho-Oncology, 26(12), 2285-2293. doi: 10.1002/pon.4361.
- *#Hulett, JM & Armer, JM. (2016). A systematic review of spiritually-based interventions and psychoneuroimmunological outcomes in breast cancer survivorship. Integrative Cancer Therapies, 15(4), 405-423. Doi: 10.1177/1534735416636222.
- *#Hulett, JM, Armer, JM, Stewart, BR, & Wanchai, A. (2015). Perspectives of the breast cancer survivorship continuum: Diagnosis through 30 months post-treatment. Journal of Personalized Medicine, 5(2), 174-190. Doi: 10.3390/jpm5020174.
- *Armer, JM; Hulett, JM; Cormier, JN; Stewart, BR; Wanchai, A; & Cromwell, K. (2015). Lymphedema and its impact on quality of life. In Lymphedema: Complete Medical and Surgical Management, Neligan, P, Masia, J, & Piller, N. (Eds.). Boca Raton, FL: Taylor & Francis, LLC. ISBN 9781482241099
Selected Peer-reviewed Presentations
- Hulett, JM, Pratscher, S, Price, M, Murphy, EA, Bettencourt, BA. Meta-analysis of immune responses to meditative therapies. (2019, March). 40th Annual Meeting & Scientific Sessions of the Society of Behavioral Medicine. Washington, D.C. Poster.
- Hulett, JM, Johnstone, B, Armer, JM, Millspaugh, R, Millspaugh, J. (2018, April). Religious and spiritual variables associated with neuroimmune biomarkers in breast cancer survivors. 39th Annual Meeting & Scientific Sessions of the Society of Behavioral Medicine. New Orleans, LA. Poster.
- Hulett, JM, Abshire, D, Armer, JM, Millspaugh, R, Millspaugh, J. (2018, March). Physiological biomarker differences in rural and urban breast cancer survivors. 32nd Annual Conference of the Southern Nursing Research Society. Atlanta, GA. Poster.
- Hulett JM, Fessele, KF, Clayton, MF, Eaton, LH. (2017, March). Relationships between salivary diurnal cortisol and cancer survivorship outcomes: A systematic review. 38th Annual Meeting and Scientific Sessions of the Society of Behavioral Medicine. San Diego, CA. Poster.
- Clayton, MF, Hulett, JM, Kaur, K, Reblin, M, Ellington, L, Xu, J. (2016, September). Supportive hospice nurse-caregiver communication on the day of patient death. Council for the Advancement of Nursing Science: State of the Science Conference. Washington, DC. Paper.
- Clayton, MF, Ellington, L, Reblin, M, Wilson, A, Latimer, S, Hulett, JM, Xu, J. (2016, September). Home hospice communication on the day of patient death. 14th International Conference European Association for Communication in Healthcare. Heidelberg, Germany. Paper.
- Hulett, JM, Armer, JM, Leary, E, Stewart, BR, McDaniel, R, Smith, K, Millspaugh, R, Millspaugh, J. (2016, March). Relationships between religious and spiritual beliefs, personality, and the cortisol awakening response in breast cancer survivors. American Psychosocial Oncology Society 13th Annual Conference. San Diego, CA. Poster.
- Hulett, JM, Armer, JM, Leary, E, Stewart, BR, McDaniel, R, Smith, K, Millspaugh, R, Millspaugh, J. (2015, November). Spiritual beliefs, personality, health outcomes, and the cortisol awakening response in breast cancer survivors. 68th Annual Scientific Meeting of the Gerontological Society of America. Orlando, FL. Poster.
For a complete list of publications visit: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/myncbi/1Lm2Idb0F-25b/bibliography/public/