408C Sinclair School of Nursing
University of Missouri
Columbia, MO 65211
Graduate Faculty Status – Yes
DNP Doctoral Faculty Status – Yes
PhD Doctoral Faculty Status – Yes
Program of Research
Dr. Hulett’s program of research focuses on complementary and integrative health approaches to promote well-being in individuals with a chronic disease, including those affected by breast cancer.
Selected Grants, Honors and Awards
- Feasibility of a mantram repetition program to promote well-being in women with breast cancer – University of Missouri Research Council Grant, 2020
- Testing the feasibility of an 8-week mantram repetition intervention in early cancer survivorship – National Institutes of Health / National Center for Complementary & Integrative Health, 2019 – 2021
- Interdisciplinary Training in Cancer, Aging, and End of Life Care – National Institutes of Health / National Institute of Nursing Research, T32NR01456, (Beck & Pepper, MPIs), (Hulett, Awardee), 2015 – 2017
- Describing Day of Death – SIGMA, Gamma Rho Chapter, 2016
- Relationships between Religious/Spiritual Variables and Salivary Alpha Amylase, Cortisol, and Interleukin-6 in Breast Women with Breast Cancer – Ellis Fischel Cancer Center Donor Fund, 2015
- Religiousness/Spirituality and Neuroendocrine Function in Breast Cancer Survivors – University of Missouri Interdisciplinary Center on Aging, Research Enrichment and Dissemination (READ), 2013
- Religiousness/ Spirituality and Neuroendocrine Function in Breast Cancer Survivors – SIGMA, Alpha Iota chapter, 2013
- Alumni Achievement Award, MU Nursing Alumni Association, 2019
- New Investigator Award, University of South Carolina College of Nursing, 2019
- MU Dissertation Discipline Award, Biological and Life Sciences Area, MU Graduate School, 2015
(Note: *peer-reviewed publications; #data-based)
- *#Mele, C., Hulett, J., & Goldschmidt, K. (2021). User-friendly mindfulness-based interventions (MBI) for children and adolescents with childhood cancer. Journal of Pediatric Nursing. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pedn.2021.12.017
- *Kim, J., Hulett, J., & Heiney, S. P. (2021). Forgiveness and health outcomes in cancer survivorship: A scoping review. Cancer nursing, 44(4), E181-E192.
- *#Hulett, J. M., Johnstone, B., Armer, J. M., Deroche, C., Millspaugh, R., & Millspaugh, J. (2021). Associations between religious and spiritual variables and neuroimmune activity in survivors of breast cancer: a feasibility study. Supportive Care in Cancer, 1-9. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00520-021-06224-7
- *#Hulett, J. M., Abshire, D. A., Armer, J. M., Millspaugh, R., & Millspaugh, J. (2021). Rural-urban differences in neuroimmune biomarkers and health status among women living with breast cancer. Cancer Nursing, 44(4), 323-332. doi: 10.1097/NCC.0000000000000802
- *Eaton, LH; Narkthong, N; & Hulett, JM. (2020). Psychosocial issues associated with breast cancer-related lymphedema: A literature review. Current Breast Cancer Reports, 1-9. (Invited manuscript) Advance online publication. Doi: 10.1007/s12609-020-00376-x.
- *#Hulett, JM, Fessele, KL, Clayton, MF, & Eaton, LH. (2019). Rigor and reproducibility: A systematic review of salivary cortisol sampling and reporting parameters used in cancer survivorship research. Biological Research in Nursing, 21(3), 318-334. Doi.org/10.1177/1099800419835321.
- *Eaton, LH, Hulett, JM, Langford, DJ, & Doorenbos, AZ. (2019). How theory can help facilitate implementing relaxation as a complementary pain management approach. Pain Management Nursing, 20(3), 207-213. Doi: 10.1016/j.pmn.2018.12.008. (Invited manuscript)
- *Eaton, LH, & Hulett, JM. (2019). Mind-body interventions in the management of chronic cancer pain. Seminars in Oncology Nursing, 35(3), 241-252. Doi: 10.1016/j.soncn.2019.04.005. (Invited manuscript)
- *#Heiney, SP, Parker, PD, Felder, TM, Adams, SA, Omofuma, OO, & Hulett, JM. (2019). A systematic review of interventions to improve adherence to endocrine therapy. Breast Cancer Research and Treatment, 173(3), 499-510. Doi: 10.1007/s10549-018-5012-7.
- *#Hulett, JM, Armer, JM, Leary, E, Stewart, BR, McDaniel, R, Smith, K, Millspaugh, R, & Millspaugh, J. (2018). Religiousness, spirituality, and salivary cortisol in breast cancer survivorship: A pilot study. Cancer Nursing: An International Journal for Cancer Care, 41(2), 166-175. Doi: 10.1097/NCC.0000000000000471.
- *#Clayton, MF; Hulett, JM, Kaur, K; Reblin, M; Wilson, A; Ellington, L. (2017). Nursing Support of Home Hospice Caregivers on the Day of Cancer Patient Death. Oncology Nursing Forum, 44(4), 457-464. Doi: 10.1188/17.ONF.457-464.
- *#Reblin, M, Clayton, MF, Xu, J, Hulett, JM, Latimer, S, Donaldson, G, & Ellington, L. (2017). Caregiver, patient, and nurse visit communication patterns in cancer home hospice. Psycho-Oncology, 26(12), 2285-2293. doi: 10.1002/pon.4361.
- *#Hulett, JM & Armer, JM. (2016). A systematic review of spiritually-based interventions and psychoneuroimmunological outcomes in breast cancer survivorship. Integrative Cancer Therapies, 15(4), 405-423. Doi: 10.1177/1534735416636222.
Selected Peer-reviewed Presentations
- Hulett, JM, Pratscher, S, Price, M, Murphy, EA, Bettencourt, BA. Meta-analysis of immune responses to meditative therapies. (2019, March). 40th Annual Meeting & Scientific Sessions of the Society of Behavioral Medicine. Washington, D.C. Poster.
- Hulett, JM, Johnstone, B, Armer, JM, Millspaugh, R, Millspaugh, J. (2018, April). Religious and spiritual variables associated with neuroimmune biomarkers in breast cancer survivors. 39th Annual Meeting & Scientific Sessions of the Society of Behavioral Medicine. New Orleans, LA. Poster.
- Hulett, JM, Abshire, D, Armer, JM, Millspaugh, R, Millspaugh, J. (2018, March). Physiological biomarker differences in rural and urban breast cancer survivors. 32nd Annual Conference of the Southern Nursing Research Society. Atlanta, GA. Poster.
- Hulett JM, Fessele, KF, Clayton, MF, Eaton, LH. (2017, March). Relationships between salivary diurnal cortisol and cancer survivorship outcomes: A systematic review. 38th Annual Meeting and Scientific Sessions of the Society of Behavioral Medicine. San Diego, CA. Poster.
- Clayton, MF, Hulett, JM, Kaur, K, Reblin, M, Ellington, L, Xu, J. (2016, September). Supportive hospice nurse-caregiver communication on the day of patient death. Council for the Advancement of Nursing Science: State of the Science Conference. Washington, DC. Paper.
- Clayton, MF, Ellington, L, Reblin, M, Wilson, A, Latimer, S, Hulett, JM, Xu, J. (2016, September). Home hospice communication on the day of patient death. 14th International Conference European Association for Communication in Healthcare. Heidelberg, Germany. Paper.
- Hulett, JM, Armer, JM, Leary, E, Stewart, BR, McDaniel, R, Smith, K, Millspaugh, R, Millspaugh, J. (2016, March). Relationships between religious and spiritual beliefs, personality, and the cortisol awakening response in breast cancer survivors. American Psychosocial Oncology Society 13th Annual Conference. San Diego, CA. Poster.
- Hulett, JM, Armer, JM, Leary, E, Stewart, BR, McDaniel, R, Smith, K, Millspaugh, R, Millspaugh, J. (2015, November). Spiritual beliefs, personality, health outcomes, and the cortisol awakening response in breast cancer survivors. 68th Annual Scientific Meeting of the Gerontological Society of America. Orlando, FL. Poster.
Link to CV Here