John A. Hartford Foundation Claire M. Fagin Fellow
S314 Sinclair School of Nursing
University of Missouri
Columbia, MO 65211
Program of Research
Dr. Vogelsmeier is a patient safety health services researcher with a focus on nursing home safety and systems improvement. A core theme of her research is understanding the unique contribution of long-term care registered nurses and advanced practice registered nurses to improved resident outcomes. Dr. Vogelsmeier also has a research emphasis in nursing home medication safety practices including medication reconciliation and technology implementation.
Selected Grants, Honors and Awards
- Missouri Quality Initiative-Nursing Home Payment Reform- Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services, Role: Co-Investigator, Practice Intervention co-lead, 2016- 2020
- Missouri Quality Initiative for Nursing Homes – Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services – Role: Co-investigator, Practice Intervention Co-Lead, 2012-2016
- IdentRx Point-of-Care Medication Administration Safety System National Institute of Health/National Institutes of Nursing Research, , Role: PI of Sub-contract/Site Coordinator 2015-2019
- Nursing Home Nurses Sensemaking to Detect Medication Order Discrepancies, National Council State Boards of Nursing, Role: PI, 2013-2015
- Senior Investigator Award, Midwest Nurses Research Society, Health System, Policy & Informatics Research Interest Group, 2020
- Outstanding Achievement Award, Centers for Medicare and Medicaid, 2016
- Fellow, American Academy of Nursing Fellow, 2015
- Excellence in Faculty Research Award, Sinclair School of Nursing, 2011
- John A. Hartford Foundation Claire M. Fagin, Fellow 2009-2011
- Pre-doctoral Scholar, John A. Hartford Foundation, 2005-2007
- Popejoy, L., Vogelsmeier, A., Wang, Yan, Wakefield, B., Galambos, C., & Mehr, D. (in press). Testing Two Strategies to Implement the Re-Engineered Discharge Program in Skilled Nursing Facilities. Clinical Nursing Research (Accepted November 2, 2020).
- Vogelsmeier, A., Popejoy, L., Canada, K., Galambos, C., Petroski, G., Crecelius, C., Alexander, GL, & Rantz, M. (in press). Results of the Missouri Quality Initiative: Six-Year Trends of Reducing Unnecessary Hospitalizations. Journal of Nutrition, Health, and Aging (Accepted November 2, 2020).
- Popejoy, L., Vogelsmeier, A., Boren, W., Martin, N., Kist, S., Rantz, M. Miller, S. (2020). A coordinated response to the CVID-19 Pandemic in Missouri. Journal of Nursing Care Quality. Epub ahead of print.
- Farag, A., Vogelsmeier, A., Knox, K., Burant, C., Perkhounkova, E., (2020). Predictors of Nursing Home Nurses’ Willingness to Report Medication Near-Misses. Journal of Gerontological Nursing. Apr 1;46(4):21-30.
- Monsees, E., Goldman, J., Vogelsmeier, A., & Popejoy, L. (2020). Nurses as Antimicrobial Stewards: Recognition, Confidence, & Organizational Factors across Nine Hospitals. (Infection Control and Hospital Epidemiology. Mar;48(3):239-245.
- Popejoy, L. L., Wakefield, B., Vogelsmeier, A., Galambos, C., Lewis, A., Huenke, D., Mehr, D. (2020). Reengineering skilled nursing facility discharge: Analysis of reengineered discharge implementation. Journal of Nursing Care Quality. Apr/Jun;35(2):158-164
- Popejoy, L.L., Vogelsmeier, A.A., Wakefield, B.J., Galambos, C., & Mehr, D. (2020) Adapting Project RED to Skilled Nursing Facilities. Clinical Nursing Research, 29(3):149-156.
- Vogelsmeier, A., Popejoy, L., Kist, S., Shumate, S., Pritchett, A., Mueller, J., & Rantz, M. (2020). Reducing avoidable hospitalizations for nursing home residents: The role of the MOQI intervention support team. Journal of Nursing Care Quality. Jan/Mar;35(1):1-5
- Orique, S., Despins, L., Wakefield, B., Erdelez, S., & Vogelsmeier, A. (2019). Perception of clinical deterioration cues among medical-surgical nurses. Journal of Advanced Nursing, Nov;75(11):2627-2637. (Senior advising author)
- Liang, C., Miao, Q., Kang, H., Vogelsmeier, A., Hilmas, T, Wang, J., Gong, Y. (2019). Leveraging patient safety research: Efforts made fifteen years since To Err is Human. Studies in Health Technologies and Informatics. Aug 21:264,983-987. doi: 10.3233/SHTI190371
- Popejoy, L., Vogelsmeier, A., Alexander, G., Galambos, C., Flesner, M., Lueckenotte, A., Crecelius, G., Bin, G., & Rantz, M. (2019). Analyzing hospital transfers using INTERACT Acute Care Transfer Tools: Lessons from MOQI. Journal of the American Geriatric Society, 67:1953-1959.
- Vogelsmeier, A., Popejoy, L., Kist, S., Harrell, R., Alexander, G., & Rantz, M. (2019). Avoiding nursing home to hospital transfers: Rethinking avoidability. Journal of Nursing Care Quality, 34(3), 189-193.
- Folarinde, B., Alexander, G.L., Galambos, C., Wakefield, B., Vogelsmeier, A. (2019). Exploring Perceptions of Healthcare Providers Use of Electronic Advance Directive Forms in Electronic Health Records. Journal of Gerontological Nursing, 45(1):17-21
- Flesner, M., Lueckenotte, A., Vogelsmeier, A., Popejoy, L., Canada, K., Minner, D., Galambos, C., & Rantz, M. (2019). Advanced practice registered nurses quality improvement efforts to reduce antipsychotic use in nursing homes. Journal of Nursing Care Quality, 34(1), 4-8.
- Anbari, A., Vogelsmeier, A, & Dougherty, D. (2019). Patient Safety Communication among Differently Educated Nurses: Converging and Diverging Meaning Systems. Western Journal of Nursing Research, 41(2): 171-190. (Senior advising author)
- Mueller, C., Duan, Y., Vogelsmeier, A., Anderson, R.A., McConnell, E. & Corazzini, K. (2018). Interchangeability of Licensed Nurses in Nursing Homes: Perspectives of directors of nursing. Nursing Outlook, 66(6): 560-569 doi: 10.1016/j.outlook.2018.09.004.
- Rantz M.J., Popejoy L., Vogelsmeier A., Galambos C., Alexander G., Flesner M., Murray C., Crecelius C., Ge B., & Petroski G. (2018). Impact of Advanced Practice Registered Nurses on Quality Measures: The Missouri Quality Initiative Experience. Journal of American Medical Director Association. Jun;19(6):541-550.
- Crowe, R.P., Cash, R.E., Christgen, A., Hilmas, T., Varner, L., Vogelsmeier, A., Gilmore, W.S., & Panchal, A.R. (2018). Psychometric analysis of a survey on Patient Safety Culture-based tool for emergency medical services. Journal of Patient Safety, Jun 11 doi: 10.1097/PTS.0000000000000504. [Online]
- Anbari, A. & Vogelsmeier. A. (2018) Associate degree in nursing-to-bachelor-of-science in nursing graduates’ education and their perceived ability to keep patients safe. Journal of Nursing Education, 57(5), 300-303.
- Vogelsmeier, A., Popejoy, L., Crecelius, C., Orique, S., Alexander, G. & Rantz, M. (2018). APRN Conducted Medication Reviews for Long-Stay Nursing Home Residents. Journal of the American Medical Directors Association, 19(1), 83-85.
- Rantz, M., Popejoy, L., Vogelsmeier, A., Galambos, C. Alexander, G., Flesner, M., Murray, C., & Crecelius, C. (2017). Reducing Avoidable Hospitalizations and Improving Quality in Nursing Homes with APRNs and Interdisciplinary Support: Lessons Learned. Journal of Nursing Care Quality, Jan/Mar,33(1), 5-9.
- Rantz, M., Popejoy, L., Vogelsmeier, A., Galambos, C., Alexander, G., Flesner, M., Crecelius, C., Ge, B., Petroski, G. (2017). Successfully Reducing Hospitalizations of Nursing Home Residents: Results of the Missouri Quality Initiative. Journal of the American Medical Directors Association, 18(11), 960-966.
- Vogelsmeier, A., Anderson, RA., Anbari, A., Ganong, L., Farag, A., & Niemeyer, M. (2017). A qualitative study describing nursing home nurses sensemaking to detect medication order discrepancies. BMC Health Services Research, 17:531 DOI: 10.1186/s12913-017-2495-6
- Popejoy, L., Vogelsmeier, A., Galambos, C., Flesner, M., Alexander, G., Lueckenotte, A., Lyons, V., & Rantz, M. (2017). The APRN Role in Changing Nursing Home Quality: The Missouri Quality Improvement Initiative. Journal of Nursing Care Quality, 32(3), 196-201.
- Alexander G.L., Popejoy, L., Lyons V.E., Shumate S., Mueller J., Galambos C., Vogelsmeier A., Rantz M., and Flesner M. (2016). Exploring Health Information Exchange Implementation using Qualitative Assessments of Nursing Home Leaders. Perspectives in Health Information Management.
Link to CV Here.