Assistant Dean, Nursing Outreach & Teaching Professor
S266 Sinclair School of Nursing
University of Missouri
Columbia, MO 65211
Continuing education for the nursing profession, Variables that influence the likelihood of practice change after CNE participation
Research focuses on transfer of learning from the classroom to the practice setting; Barriers to practice-related change
- BS(N), University of Missouri, Columbia, Mo.
- MS(N), University of Illinois, Chicago
- PhD, University of Missouri, Columbia, Mo.
Area of Doctoral Study
Higher and Adult Education
- Hammonds, L. S., Godfrey, N., Bryant, T., Mata, M., Fessenden, C., Farrah, S., Vogelsmeier, A., L’Ecuyer, K., Johnson, K., Kliethermes, J., Lucas, H., Harris, K. (2019),
- Advocating for Early-Career Nurse Innovators: Modeling the Institute of Medicine Report. Creative Nursing 25(1): 10-16.
- Vogelsmeier, A.A, Farrah, S.J, Roam, A., Ott, L. (2010). Evaluation of a leadership development academy for RNs in Long Term Care. Nursing Administration Quarterly, 34(2); 122-129.
- DeSilets, L. and Farrah, S.J. (in press). Continuing nursing education 101. Journal of Continuing Education in Nursing.
- Farrah, S.J. (2003). Lecture. In M.W. Galbraith (Ed.), Adult learning methods: A guide for effective instruction (3rd ed.). Melbourne, FL: Krieger.
- Farrah, S.J. and Graham, S.W. (2002). Variables influencing the likelihood of practice change after continuing education. Adult Education Quarterly, 49(3), 2-13. Previously published in Journal of Continuing Higher Education, 49 (2001), 2-13. Previously published in Educational Resources Information Center (ERIC) (2000).
Bio and Professional Experience
I have been in university-based continuing nursing education since 1984 where I administer the University of Missouri Nursing Outreach (MUNO) program, the educational outreach arm of the MU Sinclair School of Nursing and the Nursing Extension unit of MU Extension & Engagement. MUNO received continuing approval with distinction from the Midwest Multistate Division as a provider of continuing education through 2019. I have served as Project Director for numerous continuing education and work force-related grants and contracts from federal and state governments, totaling over $4.5 million. I have 15 publications related to nursing continuing education, adult education, and nursing management and 29 abstracts accepted for presentation at national conferences, all of which were continuing education related. I have also served as a reviewer for Journal of Continuing Education in Nursing and have held continual board certification through the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC) as a CE nursing professional since it was first available in 1992.
Honors and Awards
- Donald W. Fancher Provost Award for Outstanding Achievement in Extension and Continuing Education (2013).
- Excellence in Nursing Award, Alpha Iota Chapter, Sigma Theta Tau (March 2006)
- Division I Best Paper Presented by a New Investigator at the Annual Meeting of the American Educational Research Association, New Orleans, (April 2000)
- Excellence in Research Award, Region IV, University Continuing Education Association (1998-1999)
- Excellence in Service Award, MU Sinclair School of Nursing (1994-1995)
- Provost’s Award for Outstanding Achievement in Extension and Continuing Education (1991)
- American Nurses Association
- Missouri Nurses Association
- 7th District Missouri Nurses Association
- University of Missouri-Columbia Nursing Alumni Organization
- Sigma Theta Tau, International