Associate Professor and Dean Emerita
Gerontological nursing and administration
- Diploma, St. Mary’s School of Nursing, Milwaukee, Wi.
- BSN, University of Iowa, Iowa City, Ia.
- MA, University of Iowa, Iowa city, Ia.
- PhD, University of Missouri, Columbia, Mo.
Bio and Professional Experience
Dr. Porter received a Diploma in Nursing from St. Mary’s School of Nursing, Milwaukee, Wisconsin. She completed a BSN and an M.A. in Nursing Service Administration from the University of Iowa, Iowa City, and a PhD in Administration of Higher Education from the University of Missouri-Columbia, Columbia, MO. She has been a faculty member since 1975, teaching a variety of courses at the University of Iowa-Iowa City, the University of Texas-Houston, and the University of Missouri-Columbia.
At the University of Missouri-Columbia Sinclair School of Nursing, she has advanced from faculty member to Area Director, Level Coordinator, Undergraduate Director and Associate Dean of Student Affairs for both the Undergraduate and Graduate Programs to her present position of Dean. She has practiced clinical nursing in medical units at St. Mary’s in Milwaukee, Wisconsin and St. Jude’s in Fullerton, California. She was on the IV therapy team at Lutheran Hospital, LaCrosse, Wisconsin and was a supervisor at the Gunderson Clinic, also in LaCrosse, Wisconsin. She has worked at the Free Medical Clinic and Migrant Worker’s Clinic in Iowa.
Dr. Porter’s research interests include the work environment of the nurse, images of the profession of nursing, and nursing and student-related issues. She has published in the Journal of Nursing Administration, Nursing Management, the Journal of Professional Nursing and co-authored three chapters in a report entitled Missouri Nursing 2000: Creating a Positive Future.
Dr. Porter is married to Michael Porter, Associate Professor of Communication and Director of Special Degree Programs, also with the University of Missouri-Columbia. They have two sons: Ben, married to Melissa (from Perth, Australia) and Matt, married to Lucy (from Cornwall, England).
Selected Honors and Awards
- 2006 Honored with the naming of the second floor of the MU Excellence Hall Dormitory as “Porter House”
- 2005 Myrtle K. Aydelotte Dean’s Award, University of Iowa, College of Nursing
- 2004 Manuel T. Pacheco Academic Leadership Award
- 2003 Provost Committee on the Status of Women, First Annual Tribute to Mizzou Women Honoree
- 2002 QEBH Honor Society for distinguished service and promotion of the University of Missouri-Columbia
- 2002 Paul Harris Fellowship Award, Northwest Rotary Club
- 2001 Alpha Iota Chapter of Sigma Theta Tau Excellence in Leadership Award
- Sigma Theta Tau, National Honor Society in Nursing
- American Nurses Association, Missouri Nurses Association, member
- 2000 – current Member of Northeast Rotary Club of Columbia
- 1997 – 1999 Community Partnership Board of Directors
- 1997 – 2001 United Way Board Member for Columbia