Associate Professor Emerita
Gerontological nursing; Dementia; Promotion of health and safety for older adults; Care quality in assisted living facilities, nursing homes, and dementia special care units
- AD, Forest Park Community College, St. Louis, Mo.
- BSN, Lindenwood College, St. Charles, Mo.
- MSN, Saint Louis University, St. Louis, Mo.
- PhD, Saint Louis University, St. Louis, Mo.
Area of Doctoral Study
Program of Research
Building on my extensive experience as a gerontological nurses, the focus of my program of research is the promotion of health and safety of older adults in institutional long-term care: nursing homes and assisted living facilities. Because many older adults in institutional long-term care have diagnoses of Alzheimer’s disease or other dementias, dementia and care of older adults in dementia-specific special care units are also part of my program of research. At the same time, recognizing that older adults prefer to remain at home and avoid relocation to institutional settings, I am involved in Sinclair School of Nursing’s Aging-in-Place project and the interdisciplinary research team. That interdisciplinary team is investigating technologies to detect variations in activities suggestive of changes in health status.
Selected Grants and Awards
- Nursing Home Administrator Attrition in Missouri: Why Administrators Make the Career Altering Decision to Leave the Profession — MU Interdisciplinary Center on Aging, $8,000, 2007-2008
- Caregiving Stresses as Experienced by Nursing Staff in Dementia Special Care Units — Sigma Theta Tau, Alpha Iota Chapter, $1,000, 2007-2008
- Rantz, M. J., Aud, M. A., Zwygart-Stauffacher, M., Mehr, D. R., Petroski, G. F., Owen, S. V., Madsen, R. W., Flesner, M., Conn, V., and Maas, M. (2008). Field testing, refinement, and psychometric evaluation of a new measure of quality of care for assisted living. Journal of Nursing Measurement, 16(1), 16-30.
- Rantz, M. J., Aud, M. A., Alexander, G., Wakefield, B. J., Skubic, M., Luke, R. H., Anderson, D., and Keller, J. M. (2008). Falls, technology, and stunt actors: New approaches to fall detection and fall risk assessment. Journal of Nursing Care Quality, 23(3), 195-201.
- Aud, M. A., Bostick, J. E, Marek, K. D., and McDaniel, R. W. (2006). Introducing baccalaureate student nurses to gerontological nursing: Increasing knowledge and positive attitudes. Journal of Professional Nursing, 22, 73-78.
- Aud, M. A., Parker Oliver, D., Bostick, J., Schwarz, B., and Tofle, R. B. (2005). Social model care units for persons with dementia: The Missouri demonstration project. Alzheimer’s Care Quarterly, 6, 306-315.
- Aud, M. A. and Rantz, M. J. (2005) Admissions to skilled nursing facilities from assisted living facilities. Journal of Nursing Care Quality, 20(1), 16-25.
- Aud, M. A. (2004). Dangerous wandering: Elopements from long-term care facilities. American Journal of Alzheimer’s Disease and Other Dementias, 19, 361-368.
- Aud, M. A. (2004). Residents with dementia in assisted living facilities: The role of behavior in discharge decisions.Journal of Gerontological Nursing, 30(6),16-26.
- Aud, M. A., Rantz, M. J., Zwygart-Stauffacher, M., and Manion, P. (2004). Developing a residential care facility version of the Observable Indicators of Nursing Home Care Quality Instrument. Journal of Nursing Care Quality, 19(1), 48-57.
- Aud, M. A. (2002) Interactions of behavior and environment as contributing factors in the discharge of residents with dementia from assisted living facilities. Journal of Housing for the Elderly, 16(1/2), 61-83.
Bio and Professional Experience
Dr. Aud retired in August 2013. In 2000, Aud obtained her PhD from St. Louis University where she had earlier (1983) obtained her MSN with Gerontological Nursing as her area of specialization. She joined the staff at the MU Sinclair School of Nursing in the summer of 2001, after 21 years experience in institutional long-term care as a nursing supervisor, director of in-service education, associate director of nursing, assistant administrator, and administrator. From 1990-2000 she held an adjunct faculty appointment in the Gerontology program at the University of Missouri-St. Louis and from 1984-1995 held an appointment as an adjunct clinical instructor at St. Louis University School of Nursing. She is licensed as a nursing home administrator in Missouri and is Vice-President of the Missouri Board of Nursing Home Administrators. She also serves on the Board of the Mid-Missouri Chapter of the Alzheimer’s Association.
Presentations and Lectures
- Aud, M. A., Johnson, R. A., & Mehr, D. (2007). “A music intervention to help cognitively impaired older adults fall asleep [Poster].” 18th International Nursing Research Congress, Sigma Theta Tau International, July 11-14, 2007, Vienna Austria.
- Aud, M. A., Alexander, G. L., Rantz, M. J., & Skubic, M. (2007). “Use of sensor system data for early detection of health status changes in older residents of a retirement community [Poster].” 32nd Annual Research Conference, Midwest Nursing Research Society. Omaha, Neb.
- Aud, M. A., Rantz, M. J., & Zwygart-Stauffacher, M. (2006). “Care quality in assisted living facilities: Adaptation of the Observable Indicators of Nursing Home Care Quality instrument. [Poster].” 59th Annual Scientific Meeting, Gerontological Society of America, November 16-20, 2006. Dallas, Texas.
- Aud, M. A. (2005). “Assisted living facility medication use: Comparison to Beers’ explicit criteria for potentially inappropriate medication use. [Poster].” 58th Annual Scientific Meeting, Gerontological Society of America, November 18-22, 2006. Orlando, Fla.
Honors and Awards
- Fellow of the MU Interdisciplinary Center on Aging (2003)
- Sigma Theta Tau International (Alpha Iota chapter)
- Missouri Nurses Association
- Midwest Nurses Research Society
- Gerontological Society of America