Joint Courtesy Faculty & Chief Nursing Officer, MU Health Care
Office CE 122
University of Missouri Health Care
#1 Hospital Drive
Columbia, MO 65212
Leadership, Clinical Quality, Patient Safety Systems
Leadership development, focusing on positioning nurse’s advancement to be on boards, councils and commissions at the local, state and national level, clinical quality and patient safety in systems of care
- Diploma, Saint Luke’s College of Health Sciences, Kansas City, Mo.
- BSN, Northwest Missouri State University, Maryville, Mo.
- MS(N),University of Missouri, Columbia, Mo.
- DNP, Rush University, Chicago, Ill.
- Area of doctoral study
- Leadership and systems
Area of Doctoral Study
Leadership and systems
Program of research
Project Title: Nurse Communication Study: How Technology and Work Station Design Affect
- Nursing Communication Patterns
- Agency: Boone Hospital Center, Columbia, Missouri
- Role: Co-Investigator
- Research Team: M. Doscher
- Dates of Project Period: 2014-2015
Project Title: Patient Perception of Safety and Feeling of Security When Using Vertical versus Canted Handrail When Traveling from the Bed to the Bathroom
- Agency: Boone Hospital Center, Columbia, Missouri
- Role: Principal Investigator
- Dates of Project Period: 2011-2012
Bio and Professional Experience
Dr. Mary Beck professional experience started in critical care nursing in rural Missouri and evolved to include critical care educator. She has also held numerous leadership roles culminating with 16 years as Vice President Patient Care Services and CNE of Boone Hospital Center in Columbia, Missouri. She led the hospital to achieve Magnet designation for nursing service excellence three consecutive times. Dr. Beck transition from full-time Assistant Teach Professor of the SSON to the Chief Nursing Officer of MU Health Care in September 2017.
- N8960: Leadership in Nursing and Healthcare Systems Practicum, Instructor, Spring 2018
Selected Grants and Awards
Project Title: A Framework for Transformation to a Culture of Excellence
- Funding Agency: The Robert Wood Johnson Foundation
- Role: Co-Project Director
- Research Team: Laura G. Noren
- Dates of Project Period: January 15, 2006 to October 14, 2006
- Total Costs: $49,593
Project Title: Professional Nursing Education Capacity Expansion Initiative
- Funding Agency: Missouri Hospital Association
- Role: Co-Coordinator
- Research Team: Mary Kennish (partnership between Boone Hospital Center and Columbia College)
- Dates of Project Period: January 1, 2005 to December 31, 2007
- Total Costs: $80,599.70
Project Title: Integrating Palliative Care in Intensive Care
- Funding Agency: Nursing Research Grant, Boone Hospital Foundation
- Role: Team Leader
- Research Team: Lori Popejoy, PhD, RN, Doreen Rardin
- Dates of Project Period: June 2004 to 2010
- Total Costs: $500,000
- Scott, S., Beck, M. When Caring Hurts: Insights for Helping Second Victims. Voice of Nursing Leadership, September 2019.
- Miller, C., Scott, S., Beck, M., Second victims and mindfulness: A systematic review Journal of Patient Safety and Risk Management, April 2019.
- Beck, M., Doscher, M. Effects of Patient Care Unit Design and Technology on Nurse and Patient Care Technician Communication. Journal of Gerontological Nursing. April 2018.
- Beck, M., Staffileno, B. Implementing Evidence-Based Practice During an Economic Downturn. Journal of Nursing Administration, July/August 2012.
- Popejoy, L., Beck, M., Antal, L. Intensive Care Unit Nurse Perceptions of Caring for the Dying: Every Voice Matters.Journal of Hospice & Palliative, May/June 2009.
- Lower, M.S., Nauert, L. Charting: The Impact of Bedside Computers. Nursing Management. July 1992.
- Watson, P., Lower, M.S., Wells, S., Farrah, S., and Jarrell, C. Discovering What Nurses Do and What It Costs. Nursing Management. May 1991.
- Geden, E.A., Lower, M.S., and Beattie, S. The Effects of Music and Imagery on Physiologic and Self-report of Analogued Pain. Nursing Research. January/February 1989.
- Porter, R.T., Porter, M.J. and Lower, M.S. Enhancing the Image of Nursing. Journal of Nursing Administration. February 1989.
- Scott, S., and Lower, M.S. Image of Nursing: Perceptions of Nurses, Physicians and the Public. The Missouri Nurse. December 1988.
Student Mentoring Projects
- University of Missouri, Sinclair School of Nursing Mentor, MS(N) Student Leadership, Winter, 2010
- University of Kansas, School of Nursing, Preceptor for DNP Students (2) in Advanced Leadership Residency Summer 2010, Fall 2012, Spring 2013 and Summer 2013
- Drexel University, College of Nursing & Health Professions, Mentor for DNP Student Clinical Practicum, Fall 2014
- MONL, Nursing Leadership Forum: “Serving with a Purpose”, Columbia, MO, August 2019
- MONL, Nursing Leadership Forum: Academic-Practice Partnerships Panel Discussion “Creating an Academic Partner Strategic Plan and Prioritization of Initiatives,” Columbia, MO, August 2019.
- Missouri Center for Nursing and Missouri Action Coalition Annual Summit 2019: “Innovations in Academic Progression,” Columbia, MO, June 2019.
- 2019 AONE Annual Conference: “CNO Emotional Intelligence: Leveraging Assets for Rapid Change,” San Diego, CA, April 2019.
- 2018 Vizient Academic Health Center CNO Annual Meeting: “Building Staff Resilience to Survive and Thrive,” co-presenter with S. Scott, Las Vegas, NV, October 2018.
- 22nd Annual Midwest Regional Nursing Educators Conference: Innovations, Quality and Safety in Nursing Education and Practice; “Retaining the Current Nursing Workforce,” Columbia, MO, November 2018.
- University of Missouri School of Nursing Outreach and Distance Education 9th Annual Evidence Based Practice on the Frontline: Building a culture of Quality, Safety, and Nursing Professionalism Conference, “Engaging and Supporting Best Practice Implementation,” Columbia, MO, April 2016.
- Beck, M. (2015, May). Strategic Quality 101: “How to Engage Frontline Stakeholders in Quality,” Missouri Hospital Association, Columbia, Missouri.
- Beck, M. (2014, January). “Diversity in Nursing in Missouri,” Missouri Action Coalition, Jefferson City, Missouri.
- Beck, M. (2013, April). “Expanding Nurse Clinical Decision Making with the HOUDINI Protocol,” Webcast, The Advisory Board Company.
- Beck, M. (2012, October). “BJC Response and Actions to Institute of Medicine (IOM) Future of Nursing Report,” 2012 BJC Nurse Leadership Conference, Christian Hospital, St. Louis, Missouri.
- Beck, M. (2012, March). “Embracing Patient Centered Care in Designing a New Patient Bed Tower,” Alpha Iota Chapter of Sigma Theta Tau, General Membership Meeting, Columbia, Missouri.
- Beck, M., DNP, RN, NE-BC, Smith, M., APRN, ACNS-BC, Schuenemeyer, N. RN, Co-authors. (2011, November). “A Community Hospital’s Innovative Approach to Enculturating Evidence Based Practice,” Poster Presentation, 16thAnnual Midwest Regional Nursing Educators Conference, Columbia, Missouri.
- Beck, M. (2010, September). “Nothing About Me Without Me: Success Strategies for Design With Owner Teams,” Healthcare Facilities Symposium and Expo, Chicago, Illinois.
- Beck, M. (2009, November). “Strengthening Linkages in Nursing Education: Connecting Practice-Based and Academic Nursing Educators,” participant of the Moderator Respondent Panel, 14th Annual Midwest Regional Nursing Educators Conference, Columbia, Missouri.
- Beck, M. (2008, April). “Creating a Culture of EBP,” Round Table Discussion Facilitator, MU Sinclair School of Nursing, Nursing Outreach and Distance Education, Building a Culture of Quality, Safety and Nursing Professionalism: Evidence-Based Practice on the Frontline Conference, Columbia, Missouri.
Honors and Awards
- University of Missouri, Nursing Community – Galena Hall, Mary Beck House – 3rd Floor, 2012
- Citation of Merit Award, University of Missouri and Mizzou Alumni Association, 2009
- Celebration of Service Award-Health, Altrusa International, Inc. of Columbia, Missouri, 2005
- Sigma Theta Tau, Alpha Iota Chapter, Excellence in Nursing Leadership Award, 2005
- Sigma Theta Tau, Alpha Iota Chapter, EExcellence in Nursing Award, 1991
- American Nurses Association
- Missouri Nurses Association
- American Organization of Nurse Leaders
- Missouri Organization of Nurse Leaders Member
- Missouri Center for Nursing
- Nurses on Boards
- Capital Region Medical Center Board