Interim Dean of Sinclair School of Nursing
Associate Dean for Innovation and Partnerships, Associate Professor
Helen E. Nahm Chair in Nursing, MU Sinclair School of Nursing, 2017-Present
John A. Hartford Foundation Claire M. Fagin Fellow
S420 Sinclair School of Nursing
University of Missouri
Columbia, MO 65211
Temporary Physical Office Address
115 Business Loop 70W
Mizzou North, Room 421-A
Columbia, MO 65211
Graduate Faculty Status – Yes
DNP Doctoral Faculty Status – Yes
PhD Doctoral Faculty Status – Yes
Program of Research
My program of research focuses on understanding the complex issues that surround the provision of care to elders in hospitals, nursing homes, community settings and primary care. The concept of Aging in Place as been pivotal to my research in terms of studying the impact of care coordination with and without the use of technology in identifying early illness and change in condition to support older adults’ independence in the home of their choice. I have played key roles in Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Innovation Centers grants serving as a co-director/co-lead/co-investigator in three funded initiatives. The Leveraging Information Technology to Guide High Touch, High Tech Care and Phase 1 of the Missouri Quality Initiative (MOQI) were testing interventions to improve care coordination outcomes in primary and long term care. Phase 2 of the Missouri Quality Initiative tested nursing home health system change plus payment reform compared to payment reform alone. Additionally, my research teams have successfully translated the Re-engineered Discharge (RED) program developed for acute care to the short stay skilled nursing facility. We have developed an ontology to quantify the work of nurse care coordinators. I am currently working with colleagues in the Sinclair School of Nursing and our partners to translate successful innovation into business models including the Missouri Quality Initiative and Aging in Place.
Selected Grants, Honors and Awards
- Developing improved guidelines for nursing home-associated viral respiratory infections: Learning from the COVID-19 experience — Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, R01, Vogelsmeier, A. & Popejoy, L. (Co-PIs), 2021-2025
- Age-friendly Sustainable Smart and Equitable Technologies (ASSETs) for Aging in Place — Missouri Department of Social Services & Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services, Demonstration grant, Popejoy, L. & Reeder, B. (Co-PIs), 2021-2024
- Missouri Quality Initiative for Nursing Homes (MOQI)-Payment Reform (1E1CMS331489), Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Service, (Rantz, PI), Popejoy, L. (Co-I/Co-Lead), 2016 – 2021
- Missouri Quality Initiative to Reduce Avoidable Hospitalizations among Nursing Facility Residents (1E1CMS331080), Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, (Rantz, PI); Popejoy, L., (Co-I/Co-Lead), 2012 – 2016
- Leveraging Information Technology to Guide High Tech High Touch Care (1C1CMS331001-01-00), Centers for Medicare and Medicaid, (Rantz, PI), Popejoy, L., (Co-I/Co-Director), 2012 – 2015
- Building Patient Centered Outcomes Research: Care Transitions, Agency for Healthcare Quality and Research (R24, 1R24HS022140-01A, Mehr, PI), Core Study, SNF to Home: Reengineering SNF Discharge (00041091), Popejoy, L. (PI), 2013 – 2017
- Care coordination for older adults: Process, outcomes, cost, National Institute of Nursing Research (R15NR012940), Principal Investigator, 2011-2014
- Best Paper, Patient Centered Care Coordination Section, Quantifying Care Coordination Using Natural Language Processing and Domain Specific Ontology, International Medical Informatics Association, August 2015.
- Fellow in the American Academy of Nursing, 2014
- Popejoy, L., Vogelsmeier, A., Wang, Yan, Wakefield, B., Galambos, C., & Mehr, D. (2021). Testing Re-Engineered Discharge Program Implementation Strategies in Skilled Nursing Facilities. Clinical Nursing Research, 30(5), 644-653.
- Vogelsmeier, A., Popejoy, L., Galambos, C., Petroski, G., Crecelius, C., Alexander, G. L., & Rantz, M. (2021). Results of the Missouri Quality Initiative in Sustaining Changes in Nursing Home Care: Six-Year Trends of Reducing Hospitalizations of Nursing Home Residents. The Journal of Nutrition, Health & Aging, 25(1), 5-12.
- Galambos, C., Vogelsmeier, A., Popejoy, L., Crecelius, C., Alexander, G. L., Rollin, L., & Rantz, M. (2021). Enhancing Physician Relationships, Communication, and Engagement to Reduce Nursing Home Residents Hospitalizations. Journal of Nursing Care Quality, 36(2), 99-104.
- Popejoy, L., Vogelsmeier, A., Boren, W., Martin, N., Kist, S., Rantz, M. Miller, S. (2020). A coordinated response to the COVID-19 Pandemic in Missouri. Journal of Nursing Care Quality. 35(4), 287-292.
- Popejoy, L.L., Vogelsmeier, A.A., Wakefield, B.J., Galambos, C., & Mehr, D. (2020) Adapting Project RED to Skilled Nursing Facilities. Clinical Nursing Research, 29(3):149-156. https://doi.org/10.1177%2F1054773818819261
- Popejoy, L. L., Wakefield, B. J., Vogelsmeier, A. A., Galambos, C. M., Lewis, A. M., Huneke, D., … & Mehr, D. R. (2020). Re-engineering Skilled Nursing Facility Discharge: Analysis of RED Implementation. Journal of Nursing Care Quality, 35(2), 158-164.
- Vogelsmeier, A., Popejoy, L., Kist, S., Shumate, S., Pritchett, A., Mueller, J., & Rantz, M. (2020). Reducing avoidable hospitalizations for nursing home residents: The role of the MOQI intervention support team. Journal of Nursing Care Quality, 35(1),1-5
- Popejoy, L.L, Vogelsmeier, A.A., Alexander, G.A., Galambos, C.M., Flesner, M., Lueckenotte, A., Crecelius, C., Ge, B., & Rantz, M. (2019). Analysis of potentially avoidable hospitalizations using INTERACT Acute Care Transfer Tools: Lessons from MOQI. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, 66, 1953-1959.
- Popejoy, L. L., Wakefield, B., Vogelsmeier, A., Galambos, C., Lewis, A., Huenke, D., Mehr, D. (2019). Reengineering skilled nursing facility discharge: Analysis of implementation strategies using Consolidated Framework for Implementation Research (CFIR). Journal of Nursing Care Quality. 35(2):158-164. doi: 10.1097/NCQ.0000000000000413
- Rantz M.J., Popejoy L., Vogelsmeier A., Galambos C., Alexander G., Flesner M., Murray C., Crecelius C., Ge B., & Petroski G. (2018). Impact of Advanced Practice Registered Nurses on Quality Measures: The Missouri Quality Initiative Experience. Journal of American Medical Director Association. Jun;19(6):541-550.
- Vogelsmeier, A., Popejoy, L., Crecelius, C., Orique, S., Alexander, G. & Rantz, M. (2018). APRN Conducted Medication Reviews for Long-Stay Nursing Home Residents. Journal of the American Medical Directors Association, 19(1), 83-85.
- Popejoy, L., Vogelsmeier, A., Galambos, C., Flesner, M., Alexander, G., Lueckenotte, A., Lyons, V., & Rantz, M. (2017). The APRN Role in Changing Nursing Home Quality: The Missouri Quality Improvement Initiative. Journal of Nursing Care Quality, 32(3), 196-201.
- Popejoy, L.L., Stetzer, F., Hicks, L., Rantz, M.J, Galambos, C., Popescu, M., Khalilia, M.A. & Marek, K.D. (2015). Comparing Aging in Place to Home Health Care: Impact of Nurse Care Coordination on Utilization and Costs. Nursing Economics, 33(6), 306-313.
- Popejoy, L., Jaddoo, J., Sherman, J., Howk, C., Nguyen, R., & Parker, J. (2015). Monitoring Resource Utilization in a Healthcare Coordination Program. Professional Case Management, 20 (6), 310-320.
- Popejoy, L.L., Khalilia, M., Popescu, M., Galambos, C., Lyons, V., Rantz, M., Hicks, L., & Stetzer, F. (2015). Quantifying Care Coordination Dose using Natural Language Processing and Domain Specific Ontology Corresponding. Journal of American Informatics Association, 22, e93–e103. doi:10.1136/amiajnl-2014-002702, Research and Applications