Associate Teaching Professor
S421C Sinclair School of Nursing
University of Missouri
Columbia, Mo. 65211
Graduate Faculty Status – Yes
DNP Doctoral Faculty Status – Yes
PhD Doctoral Faculty Status – Yes
Healthcare systems, Quality improvement, Patient Safety, Nursing Theory
Selected Grants, Honors and Awards
- SBIR A Next Generation, Low Cost Tracking System for Healthcare Process Validation, NIH/National Institutes of Nursing Research R44, (Kim, PI), Despins, L. (Co-I), 2019-2021
- How Clinic Nurses Triage Electronic Patient Messages, Mizzou Alumni Association, Richard Wallace Faculty Incentive Grant, Despins, L. (PI), 2018-2019
- Sensemaking in the Patient with Diabetes and Patient-Provider Communication: An Exploration of Patient and Provider Perspectives — MU Center for Patient-Centered Outcomes Research, Despins, L. (PI), 2017-2018
- Healthcare systems process improvement using NFER technology, University of Missouri, Interdisciplinary Innovations Fund, (Kim, PI), Despins, L. (Co-I), 2016
- Critical decisions in a complex environment: Intensive care nurses’ management of multiple signals of potential patient deterioration, Mizzou Alumni Association, Richard Wallace Faculty Incentive Grant, Despins, L. (PI), 2014-2015
- MU Sinclair School of Nursing Research Award (2017)
- Dissertation Award for the Health Systems, Policy, and Informatics Research Interest Group, Midwest Nursing Research Society (2013)
- Dean’s Award in Health Sciences, Sinclair School of Nursing, University of Missouri (2011)
- Ullal, A., Su, B. Y., Enayati, M., Skubic, M., Despins, L., Popescu, M., & Keller, J. (2021). Non-invasive monitoring of vital signs for older adults using recliner chairs. Health and Technology, 11(1), 169-184.
- Kasaie, A., Hyup Kim, J., & Despins, L. (2021, September). The Impact Of Covid-19 Pandemic On Nurses’ Behavior For Updating Assessment Results By Using The Electronic Medical Record Log Data In A Non-Covid Intensive Care Unit. In Proceedings of the Human Factors and Ergonomics Society Annual Meeting, 65 (1), 169-173. Sage CA: Los Angeles, CA: SAGE Publications.
- Heise, D., Yi, R., & Despins, L. (2021, June). Unobtrusively Detecting Apnea and Hypopnea Events via a Hydraulic Bed Sensor. In 2021 IEEE International Symposium on Medical Measurements and Applications (MeMeA), 1-6). IEEE.
- Brandt, L., Despins, L., Wakefield, B., Fleming, D., Deroche, C., & Popejoy, L. (2021). Health care ethics ECHO: Improving ethical response self-efficacy through sensemaking. International Journal of Ethics Education, 6(1), 125-139.
- Despins, L.A., Guidoboni, G., Skubic, M., Sala, L., Enayati, M., Keller, J.M., & Popescu, M. (2020). Using sensor signals in the early detection of heart failure: A case study. Journal of Gerontological Nursing, 46(7), 41-46. doi: 10.3928/00989134-20200605-07
- Despins, L.A. & Wakefield, B.J. (2020). Sensemaking in diabetes type 2 self-management decisions. Journal of Clinical Nursing, 29(13-14), 2572-2588. doi: 10.1111/jocn.15280
- Howland, C., Despins, L., Sindt, J., Wakefield, B., & Mehr, D. R. (2020). Primary care clinic nurse activities with a telehealth monitoring system. Western journal of nursing research, 43(1), 5-12.
- Orique, S., Despins, L., Wakefield, B., Erdelez, S., & Vogelsmeier, A. (2019). Perception of clinical deterioration cues among medical-surgical nurses. Journal of Advanced Nursing, 75(11), 2627-2637. doi: 10.1111/jan.14038
- Despins, L.A., Kim, J.H., Deroche, C., & Song, X. (2019). Factors influencing how intensive care unit nurses allocate their time. Western Journal of Nursing Research, 41(11), 1551-1575. doi:10.1177/0193945918824070
- Despins, L.A. & Wakefield, B.J. (2018). Patient identification of health risk. Western Journal of Nursing Research, 40(7), 939-941. doi: 10.1177/0193945918763556
- Despins, L.A. & Wakefield, B.J. (2018). The role of the electronic medical record in the intensive care unit nurse’s detection of patient deterioration: A qualitative study. CIN: Computers, Informatics, Nursing, 36(6), 284 – 292. doi: 10.1097/CIN.0000000000000431
Selected Peer Reviewed Presentations
- Despins, L.A. & Wakefield, B.J. (2020). Exploring patient-provider communication in diabetes self-management, 44th Annual Research Conference, Midwest Nursing Research Society, Virtual Conference, April 1 – 4, 2020. Poster
- Despins, L.A., Guidoboni, G., Skubic, M., Sala, L., Enayati, M., Keller, J.M., & Popescu, M. (2019). Case study exemplar of severe diastolic dysfunction using ballistocardiogram, Gerontological Society of America, 2019 Annual Scientific Meeting, Strength in Age: Harnessing the Power of Networks, Austin, Tx, November 13-17, 2019. Poster
- Mishra, A.K., Skubic, M., Despins, L.A., Popescu, M., Rantz, Keller, J., & Lane, K. (2019). Development of a functional health index for older adults using the electronic health record, IEEE-EMBS BHI 2019, IEEE-EMBS International Conference on Biomedical and Health Informatics, IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society (IEEE-EMBS), Chicago, Il, May 19 – 22, 2019. Poster
- Despins, L.A., Kim, J.H., & Song, X. (2018). The effect of nurse education, nurse experience, specialty certification, severity of illness, comorbidities, and time of day on nurses’ work activities in an intensive care unit: An exploratory study, 4th European Conference, Sigma Theta Tau International Honor Society of Nursing, Cambridge, England, June 4 – 6, 2018. Poster
- Despins, L.A. & Wakefield, B.J. (2018). Intensive care unit nurses’ use of electronic medical record information for patient surveillance, 4th European Conference, Sigma Theta Tau International Honor Society of Nursing, Cambridge, England, June 4 – 6, 2018. Poster
- Despins, L.A. & Wakefield, B.J. (2018). Intensive care unit nurses’ use of the electronic medical record in patient deterioration detection, 42nd Annual Research Conference, Midwest Nursing Research Society, Cleveland, Oh., April 12 – 15, 2018. Poster
- Enayati, M., Su, B.Y., Despins, L., & Skubic, M. (2017). Investigating the interaction between ballistocardiogram and cardiac age, European Medical and Biomedical Engineering Conference, Tampere, Finland, June 11-15, 2017. Paper
Clinical Practice Area
Adult Critical Care