S417A Sinclair School of Nursing
University of Missouri
Columbia, MO 65211
Adult acute care nursing, Gerontological nursing
Hearing health care, Improved communication, Supporting ADA rights, Health policy changes for hearing impaired
- Diploma in nursing, Iowa Methodist School of Nursing, Des Moines, Iowa
- BSN, Drake University, Des Moines, Iowa
- MSN, emphasis in Adult Education, Drake University, Des Moines, Iowa
- Master Online Teacher post master’s certificate, University of Illinois, Illinois Online Network
- PhD in Aging, University of Iowa, Iowa City, Iowa
Area of Doctoral Study
Intervention development related to individuals with hearing impairment
Program of Research
Hearing/vestibular impairment and disability, specifically developing interventions to assist with improving communication and managing disability
Bio and Professional Experience
Dr. Lane’s professional nursing career has spanned 20 years. Her early practice emphasized cardiac telemetry and critical care, with mid-management experience. Early in her career, she sought teaching positions, as she enjoyed working with students and empowering them to grow and learn. Mid-career, Dr. Lane taught at a diploma program (4 years), and associate degree program (3 years) and a baccalaureate online program (7 years). During this time, she also worked in a critical access emergency room as charge nurse and oriented all new nurses to the ER. Dr. Lane says online teaching has been a challenge, and she enjoys seeking the types of technology that assist in supporting educational mechanisms for multiple learning styles.
Personal work experience and family experiences with hearing loss have inspired her to assist those with hearing loss in achieving improved communication experiences. Dr. Lane’s current research focus deals with hearing loss and its many comorbidities. She focuses on technology, including hearing aids and cochlear implants in all age ranges, but with a strong gerontological focus. Other key areas important to her research include: improving communication, working with those with disabilities and health policy change.
- N3870 Gerontological Nursing
- N7120: Advanced Physiology and Pathophysiology
- N3260: Pathophysiology
*Courses vary semester to semester
Selected Grants and Awards
- Technology Use, Social Support and Life Satisfaction among Korean Immigrant Elders (Co-Pl) – University of Missouri Interdisciplinary Center on Aging
- Hybrid Cochlear Implants Candidates and Barriers to Implantation (Pl) – University of Missouri Interdisciplinary Center on Aging
- Pilot Testing of HEAR: Hearing Aid Reintroduction Intervention (Pl) – John A. Hartford National Hartford Center of Gerontological Nursing Research
- Frequency Modulation System Use in Older Persons with Hearing Loss (Pl) – University of Missouri Interdisciplinary Center on Aging
- Rantz, M., Lane, K., Phillips, L.J., Despins, L.A., Galambos, C., Alexander, G.L., Skubic, M., Miller, S.J. (2015). Enhanced registered nurse care coordination with sensor technology: Impact on length of stay and cost in aging in place housing. Nursing Outlook, 63(6), 650-655.
- Lane, K.R., Rantz, M., Bien, A. (2015). Are older persons living in intermediate care settings willing to accept and use amplifiers to understand speech? A preliminary study. International Journal of Older People in Nursing.
- Rantz, M., Popejoy, L.L., Galambos, C., Phillips, L.J., Lane, K.R., Marek, K.D., Hicks, L., Musterman, K., Back, J., & Miller, S. (2014). The continued success of RN care coordination in a state evaluation of aging in place in senior housing. Nursing outlook. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.outlook.2014.02.005
- Lane, K.R., & M.K. Clark. (2012). Assisting Older Persons with Adjusting to Hearing Aids. Clinical Nursing Research, 63, 19-27. doi: 10.1177/1054773814563350 http://cnr.sagepub.com/cgi/reprint/1054773814563350v1.pdf?ijkey=VgDlzSrn9JWsS4B&keytype=finite
- Lane, K., & M.K. Clark. (2012). Working with hearing impaired clients: techniques to optimize communication. American Journal of Recreation Therapy, 11(3), 26-30. DOI: 10.5055/ajrt.2012.0024
- Lane, K. (2011). Closing in on the cause of agitation. American Nurse Today, 6(3), 37.
- Fine, P., Herr, K., Titler, M., Sanders, S., Cavanaugh, J., Swegle, J., Forcucci, C., Tang, X., Lane, K., Reyes, J. (2010). The cancer pain practice index (CCPI): A measure of evidence-based practice adherence for cancer pain management in older adults in hospice care. Journal of Pain and Symptom Management, 39(5), 791-802.
- Rantz, M.J., Lane, K.R., Popejoy, L.L., Galambos, C., Phillips, L.J., Hicks, L., Alexander, G., Despins, L., Koopman, R., Skubic, M., Popescu, M., Keller, J. (in-press). Aging in Place: Adapting the Environment. In Using Nursing Research to Shape Health Policy. New York: Springer Publishing Company.
- Lane, K. (2016). Assessment and functional age. In Greene, R.R., Galambos, C., Cohen, H., and Greene, N. Social work with the aged and their families (4th Ed.) Piscataway, N.J.: Transaction Publishers.
- Lane, K. (2013). People of a certain age. [Editorial]. Western Journal of Nursing Research, 35(1), 3-5. doi: 10.1177/0193945912460189
- Lane, K.R. & Conn, V.S. (2013). To hear or not to hear. [Editorial]. Research in Gerontological Nursing, 6(2), 79-80. doi:10.3928/19404921-20130311-01.
- Lane, K. (2012). An intervention to assist older persons to adjust to hearing aids. (Doctoral dissertation). ProQuest Dissertations & Theses database. (ID No. 11555).
- Specht, J.P., Mobily, P., Bossen, A.L., Russell, J., Lane, K., Stolder, M.E. (2012). Interactive DVD: Lessons and finding from the Multilevel Translation Research Application in Nursing Homes (M-Train) study: Adoption of EBP for Pain and Urinary Incontinence. Prairie Moon Communications. Oxford, IA.
Presentations and Lectures
Lane, K., Headrick, L. Hoffman, K., Sommi, R “Promoting Scholarship“ Panel, Train the Trainer Interprofessional Faculty Development Program, University of Missouri-Columbia, March 17, 2016.
Lane, K.R. (2015). Healthcare Providers Perspectives on Caring for Persons with Late-Adult-Onset Hearing Loss. GSA 68th Annual Scientific Conference, November 18-22, 2015, Orlando, FL. Poster Presentation.
Lane, K.R. (2015). Improving Policies for Hearing Loss in Long Term Care Environments. GSA 68th Annual Scientific Conference, November 18-22, 2015, Orlando, FL. Oral Presentation.
Lane, K.R. (2015). Hearing Healthcare Provided by Residential Care Facilities in the State of Missouri, 2013. Midwest Nursing Research Society Annual Conference, April 16-19, 2015 in Indianapolis, Indiana. Poster Discussion.
Lane, K.R. (2015). Improving Hearing Aid Adjustment in Older Persons. Midwest Nursing Research Society Annual Conference, April 16-19, 2015 in Indianapolis, Indiana. Oral Presentation.
Enriquez, M. & Lane, K. (2014). Strategies for engaging patients on research teams. MU School of Medicine Colwill Seminars Special Series on Patient-Centered Outcomes Research. Columbia, MO.
Lane, K.R. (2014). Hearing Loss and Technology Understanding Verbal Directions. Activity Director’s Annual Conference, Columbia, MO
Lane, K.R. (2014). Difficulty Understanding the Spoken Word. HEAL: Hearing Across the Lifespan Annual Conference. Lake Como, Italy. Invited Oral Presentation.
Stolder, M.E., Specht, J.K., Mobily, P., Bossen, A., Lane, K.R., Russell, J-E. Reed, D. (2014). Fidelity to a theory model in a multisite long term care clinical trial. Sigma Theta Tau International Honor Society of Nursing, Viterbo University.
Lane, K.R. (2013). Use of Frequency Modulation (FM) Systems to Enhance Communication in Older Persons. Research Seminar on Aging. Columbia, MO.
Lane, K.R. (2013). Use of Frequency Modulation (FM) Systems to Enhance Communication in Older Persons. Caring for the Frail Elderly the 21ST Annual Meeting Missouri Association of Long-Term Care Physicians. Columbia, MO. Poster.
Lane, K.R. (2013). Interdisciplinary approaches to hearing loss and hearing healthcare in long term care settings. Caring for the Frail Elderly the 21ST Annual Meeting Missouri Association of Long-Term Care Physicians. Columbia, MO. Invited Speaker.
Lane, K.R. (2012). Fidelity issues in piloting an intervention related to hearing aid adjustment. GSA 65th Annual Scientific Conference. San Diego, CA.
Lane, K.R. (2012). An intervention to assist older persons to adjust to hearing aids. 2012 State of the Science Congress on Nursing Research. Council for the Advancement of Nursing (CANs). Washington, D.C. Poster.
Honors and Awards
- MU Sinclair School of Nursing Faculty Award for Excellence in Research, MUSSON, 2016
- Nominated for IOM ad hoc study Affordable Hearing Healthcare for Adults, Institute of Medicine, 2014
- Nominated for SSON Faculty Award for Excellence in Research, MUSSON, 2013
- NHCGNE Claire M. Fagin Fellow, John A. Hartford Foundation, 2013-2015
- Faculty Development Collaborative Program in Geriatrics Scholar, University of Kansas, 2013
- MU Doctoral Faculty Status, University of Missouri, 2012
- PCORI Institute Attendee, PCORI, 2012
- Summer Grant Writers Workshop, University of Missouri, 2012
- Interdisciplinary Center on Aging Fellow, University of Missouri, 2012
- MU Graduate Faculty Status, Univerisity of Missouri, 2012
- MNRS Gero Nrg Res Sect Diss Award, MNRS, 2012
- Gerontological Society of America
- Midwest Nursing Research Society
- American Nurses Association/Iowa & Missouri
- American Association for Hard of Hearing People
- Association for Late Deafened Adults
- American Society on Aging
- TRIPP Foundation
- TigerPlace Operations Board
- Aging in Place Board