S343 Sinclair School of Nursing
University of Missouri
Columbia, Mo. 65211
Chronic disease self-management, gerontological nursing, healthy aging, physical activity behavior and physical functioning among community-dwelling older adults, and family caregiving.
Program of Research
Dr. Chase program of research focuses on chronic disease self-management, healthy aging, and maintaining physical function through physical activity among older adults. She is also has a research interest in caregiving for older adults, especially during transitions in care.
Teaching Emphasis Area(s)
- N9100: State of the Science
- N9460: Theories and Interventions in Health Behavior Science
- N4930W – Evidence Based Nursing Practice
- N9550 – Meta-Analysis Research
- The effectiveness of interventions to reduce sedentary behavior among older adults: Systematic review and meta-analysis – Chow-Togaski-Breitenbach Scholar Fund of the American Nurses Foundation: 9/1/2018 – 8/31/2019
- Informal Caregivers’ Experiences Managing Complex Care for Older Post-Acute Home Health Care Patients – Visiting Nurse Service of New York/Eugenie and Joseph Doyle Research Partnership Fund: 8/2018 – 8/2019
- Transitions in Care(giving): Caregivers’ Perspectives on Training and Support in the Post-Acute Care Setting – University of Missouri Center for Patient Centered Outcomes Research/Department of Health and Human Services Agency for Healthcare Research & Quality
- Physical Functioning Trajectories among Racially and Ethnically Diverse Older Adult Home Health Care Recipients: A Pilot Study – University of Pennsylvania/Frank Morgan Jonas Fund
- Effects of Resistance-Training Physical Activity Interventions on Physical Function among Older Adults: A Meta-analysis/PI – University of Missouri Research Council Grant
- Meta-analysis of Physical Activity Intervention Effects on Physical Function among Older Adults/PI – Mizzou Alumni Association Richard Wallace Faculty Incentive Grant
- Interventions to Increase Physical Activity Among Older Adults: A Meta-Analysis – National Hartford Centers of Gerontological Nursing Excellence
- Interventions to Increase Physical Activity Among Older Adults: A Meta-Analysis – National Institutes of Health
- Interventions to Increase Physical Activity Among Older Adults: A Meta-Analysis – MU Interdisciplinary Center on Aging
Honors and Awards
- New Investigator Award , 2017: Midwestern Nursing Research Society, Gerontological Nursing Research Interest Group
- Who’s Who Among Students in American Universities and Colleges, February 2013 and May 2014
- PhD Student Award for Overall Excellence, MU Sinclair School of Nursing, April 2012
- Charles and Josie Sinclair Fellowship, MU Sinclair School of Nursing, 2010-2012
- Nurse Faculty Loan Program Recipient, HRSA/MU Sinclair School of Nursing, 2010 – 2011
- (* indicates data-based publication)
- *Chase, J.D., Otmanowski, J., Rowland, S., Cooper, P.S. (in press). A systematic review and meta-analysis of interventions to reduce sedentary behavior among older adults. Translational Behavioral Medicine.
- Otmanowski, J. & Chase, J.D., (2020). Practical implications for providing physical activity counseling for the older adult: an integrative review. Journal of American Association of Nurse Practitioners, 32(7). doi: 10.1097/JXX.0000000000000483
- *Bowles, K.H., Murtaugh, C.M., Jordan, L., Barron, Y., Mikkelsen, M.E., Whitehouse, C.R., Chase, J.D, Ryvicker, M., Feldman, P.H. (2020). Sepsis survivors transitioned to home health care: Characteristics and early readmission risk factors. Journal of the American Medical Directors Association: JAMDA. Advanced online publication. doi: 10.1016/j.jamda.2019.11.001
- *Chase, J.D., Russell, D., Rice, M., Abbott, C., Bowles, K.H., & Mehr, D. (2019). Caregivers’ experiences regarding training and support in the post-acute home health care setting. Journal of Patient Experience. https://doi.org/10.1177/2374373519869156
- *Chase, J.D., Russell, D., Rice, M., Abbot, C., Bowles, K.H., & Mehr, D. (2019). Caregivers’ perceptions of managing functional needs among older adults receiving post-acute home health care. Research in Gerontological Nursing, 12(4), 174-183. doi: 10.3928/19404921-20190319-01
- *Russell, D. & Chase, J.D. (2019). The social context of sedentary behaviors and their relationships with health in later life. Journal of Aging and Physical Activity. Advanced online publication. doi: 10.1123/japa.2018-0109
- *Chase, J.D., Russell, D., Huang, L., Hanlon, A., O’Connor, M., Bowles, K.H. (2018). Relationships between race/ethnicity and health care utilization among older post-acute home health care patients. Journal of Applied Gerontology. Advance online publication. doi: 10.1177/0733464818758453
- *Chase, J.D., Huang, L., Russell, D., Hanlon, A., O’Connor, M., Robinson, K.M., Bowles, K.H. (2018). Racial/ethnic disparities in disability outcomes among post-acute home care patients. Journal of Aging and Health, 30(9), 1406-1426. doi: 10.1177/0898264317717851
- *Chase, J. D., Hirschman, K. B., Hanlon, A. L., Huang, L., Bowles, K. H., Naylor, M. (2017). Self-reported physical functioning among older adults new to long-term services and supports. Gerontologist. Advance online publication doi: 10.1093/geront/gnx082.
- *Chase, J. D., Phillips, L., Brown, M. B. (2017). Physical activity intervention effects on physical function among community-dwelling older adults: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Journal of Aging and Physical Activity, 25(1). doi: 10.1123/japa.2016-0040 PMC4542588
- *Chase, J.D., Lozano, A., Hanlon, A., Bowles, K. (2016). Identifying factors associated with mobility decline among hospitalized older adults. Clinical Nursing Research. Advanced online publication. doi: 10.1177/1054773816677063
- *Chase, J. D., Bogener, J., Ruppar T. M., & Conn, V. S. (epub ahead of print).The effectiveness of medication adherence interventions among patients with coronary artery disease: A meta-analysis. Journal of Cardiovascular Nursing. Advanced online publication. doi: 10.1097/JCN.0000000000000259
For a complete list of publications visit: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/myncbi/browse/collection/47213682/?sort=date&direction=ascending
- Chase, J.D., Russell, D., Huang, L., Hanlon, A., O’Connor, M., Robinson, K.M., Bowles, K.H. (2018, accepted). Emergency Room Visits in Older Post-Acute Home Health Care Patients: Does Race/Ethnicity Matter? Midwestern Nursing Research Society 42nd Annual Research Conference, Cleveland, OH. Paper.
- Chase, J.D., Huang, L., Russell, D., O’Connor, M., Robinson, K., Bowles, K.H. (2017, July) Racial/ethnic disparities in ADL disability after hospitalization among older home care recipients. 21st IAGG World Congress of Gerontology and Geriatrics, San Francisco, CA. Paper.
- Chase, J.D. & Phillips, L.J. (2016, November). Meta-analysis of exercise interventions on physical function in community-dwelling older adults. 69th Gerontological Society of America Annual Scientific Meeting, New Orleans, LA. Poster.
- Chase, J.D., Hirschman, K.B., Hanlon, A.L., Huang, L., Bowles, K., Naylor, M. (2016, November). Determinants of physical function among older adults new to long-term services and supports. 69th Gerontological Society of America Annual Scientific Meeting, New Orleans, LA. Paper.
- Chase, J.D., Hanlon, A., Lozano, A., & Bowles, K.H. (2016, March). Mobility loss among hospitalized older adults: Who is at risk? Midwestern Nursing Research Society 40th Annual Research Conference, Milwaukee, WI. Poster.