Sinclair School of Nursing
University of Missouri
Columbia, MO 65211
Community/Mental Health Nursing; Geropsychiatric Nursing
Nursing home care quality; nursing homes staffing; Minimum Data Set quality indicators; nursing home environmental design; dementia and depression in older adults; reminiscence therapy to improve depression levels in the older adult
- BSN, Avila College, Kansas City, Mo.
- MS(N), University of Missouri, Columbia, Mo.
- PhD, University of Missouri, Columbia, Mo.
Area of Doctoral Study
Nursing Health Care Systems
Program of Research
Dr. Jane Bostick researches nursing home care quality items such as staff levels, staff turnover, the impact of environmental design on nursing home residents, and minimum data set quality indicators. She is also interested in cognitive assessment of nursing home residents and interventions to improve dementia and depression in older adults. Her dissertation research examined the effect of nursing personnel on nursing home care quality.
- Bostick, J., Rantz, M., Flesner, M. and Riggs, C. (2006). Systematic review of studies of staffing and quality in nursing homes. Journal of the American Medical Director’s Association, 7(7), 366-376.
- Aud, M., Bostick, J., Marek, K. andMcDaniel, R. (2006). Introducing baccalaureate student nurses to gerontological nursing: Increasing knowledge and positive attitudes. Journal of Professional Nursing, 22(2), 73-78.
- Bostick, J., Aud, M., Parker-Oliver, D., Schwarz, B., Tofle, R., Garrett, L. and Williams, S. (2006). Staff perceptions in Special Care Units (SCUs). Long-term Care Interface, 7(1), 12-17.
- Rantz, M., Zwygart-Stauffacher, M., Mehr, D., Petroski, G., Owen, S., Madsen, R., Flesner, M., Conn, V., Bostick, J., Smith, R. and Maas, M. (2006). Field testing, refinement, and psychometric evaluation of a new measure of nursing home care quality. Journal of Nursing Management, 14(2), 135-154.
- Aud, M., Parker-Oliver, D., Schwarz, B., Tofle, R., Ory-Hernandez, R., Bostick, J., and Finke, M. (2005). Social model care units for persons with dementia: A demonstration project, Alzheimer’s Care Quarterly, 6(4), 306-314.
- Parker-Oliver, D., Aud, M., Bostick, J., Schwarz, B. and Tofle, R. (2005). Dementia Special Care Units: A policy and family perspective. Journal of Housing for the Elderly, 19(1), 113-125.
- Bostick, J. (2004). Relationship of nursing personnel and nursing home care quality. Journal of Nursing Care Quality, 19(2), 130-136.
- Rantz, M., Mehr, D., Petroski, G., Madsen, R., Hicks, L., Bostick, J., Zwygart-Stauffacher, M. and Maas, M. (2004). Nursing home quality, cost, staffing, and staff-mix. The Gerontologist, 44(1), 24-38.
- Bostick, J., Riggs, C.J. and Rantz, M. (2003). Quality measurement in nursing: An update of where we are now.Journal of Nursing Care Quality, 18(2), 94-104.
- Rantz, M., Popejoy, L., Petroski, G., Madsen, R., Mehr, D., Zwygart-Stauffacher, M., Hicks, L., Grando, V., Wipke-Tevis, D., Bostick, J., Porter, R., Conn, V., and Maas, M. (2001). Randomized clinical trial of a quality improvement intervention in nursing homes. The Gerontologist, 41(4), 525-538.
Bio and Professional Experience
Jane Bostick is a teaching professor emerita at the MU Sinclair School of Nursing. Dr. Bostick teaches mental health nursing at both the undergraduate and doctoral level. She was a Clinical Nurse Specialist in Adult Psychiatric/Mental Health Nursing and retired from certification in 2019.
- N4370 — Mental Health Nursing (2 clinical groups at Fulton State Hospital)
- N9070 – DNP Clinical Residency (PMHNP section)
- N9080 – DNP Residency Project (all sections)
Honors and Awards
- Faculty Award for Excellence in Teaching (2014)
- Outstanding Clinical Teaching Award (2014)
- Sigma Theta Tau International Honor Society of Nursing, Alpha Iota Chapter, President’s Award (2002)
- Betty Crim Faculty Enhancement Award (2000)
- Outstanding Classroom Instructor (1999, 2001)
- MUSSON Alumni Association, Alumni Achievement Award (1995)
- Seventh District Missouri Nurses Association (MONA), Nurse of the Year (1994)