Teaching Professor Emerita
Sinclair School of Nursing
University of Missouri
Columbia, MO 65211
Teaching Emphasis Area
Psychiatric Mental Health Nursing
Selected Honors and Awards
- Outstanding Clinical Instructor, MU Sinclair School of Nursing, Nursing Student Council, 12/19/2014
- MUSSON Alumni Association Excellence in Teaching Award, University of Missouri, Columbia, MO, 4/11/2014
- Top 100 Nursing Professors in 2012, BSN to MSN Online, Southern Colleges and Universities
- President’s Award, Alpha Iota, Sigma Theta Tau International Honor Society of Nursing, 2/13/2002
- Outstanding Classroom Instructor, MU Sinclair School of Nursing, Nursing Student Council, 12/15/2001 and 12/17/1999
- Betty Crim Faculty Enhancement Award, MU Sinclair School of Nursing, Annual Alumni Banquet, 4/14/2000
- Nurse of the Year Award, Seventh District Missouri Nurses Association, 5/12/1994
Selected Funded Grants
- Doctorate of Nursing Practice Degree for Online Delivery, University of Missouri System, Office of Vice President for Academic Affairs, Co-Principal Course Developer, 5/6/2010 – 5/5/2011, Total Costs: $20,000
- Post-Master’s Certificate in Child/Family Mental Health, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Health Resources & Services Administration (HRSA) (PHS), Principal Investigator, 7/1/2008 – 6/30/2011, 1-year extension: 7/1/2011-6/30/2012, Total Costs: $370,091
- Enhancing Geriatric Nursing Education at MU Sinclair School of Nursing, Health Resources & Services Administration (PHS) (HRSA), Project Director, 7/1/2002 – 6/30/2003, $25,000; additional funding through University of Missouri Columbia PRIME Fund, $22,500; and American Association of Colleges of Nursing (AACN), $90,000 Total Costs: $137,500
- Helene Fuld Health Trust Grant, Fuld Institute for Technology in Nursing Education, Project Director, 4/26/1996, Total Costs: $35,000
Selected Publications: Books and Book Chapters
- LeMone, P., Burke, K., Bostick, J, Bauldoff, G. (2016) Clinical handbook for medical surgical nursing: Critical thinking in patient care (6 ed.), Upper Saddle River, NJ: Pearson Education.
- Bostick, J. (2015). Chapter 6: Nursing care of patients experiencing substance abuse. In P. LeMone, K. Burke, G. Bauldoff, & P. Gubrud-Howe (Eds.) Medical-Surgical Nursing 6th Upper Saddle River, NJ: Pearson Education.
Selected Peer Reviewed Presentations
- Aud, M. A., Oliver, D., Bostick, J., Schwarz, B., & Tofle, R. B. (July 15, 2005). Effectiveness of social model care units for dementia. 16th International Nursing Research Congress, Sigma Theta Tau International, Kona, Hawaii.
- Bostick, J. (November 16, 2003). Where Young Meets Old: A Gerontological Education-Service Partnership. AACN Baccalaureate Education Conference, Lake Buena Vista, FL.
- Bostick, J. (March 3, 2002).The Effect of Nursing Personnel on Nursing Home Care Quality. 26th Annual Research Conference, Midwest Nursing Research Society, Chicago, IL.
- Bostick, J. (March 3, 2001). Impact of Nursing Home Design Interventions on Nursing Home Residents with Dementia. 25th Annual Research Conference, Midwest Nursing Research Society, Cleveland OH.
- LeMone, P. & Bostick, J. (December 8, 2000). Program for Excellence in Teaching Nursing. AACN Baccalaureate Education Conference, Chicago, IL.
- Bostick, J. (November 20, 2000). Impact of Nursing Home Design Interventions on Residents with Dementia, Families, and Staff. 53rd Annual Scientific Meeting, Gerontological Society of America, Washington, D.C.
- Schwarz, B., Chaudhury, H., Brent, R. & Bostick, J. (May 3, 2000). The Kingswood Study: An Interdisciplinary Assessment of the Impact of Design Interventions in Long-Term Care. Environmental Design Research Association, San Francisco, CA.
Clinical Practice Area
Psychiatric Mental Health Nursing