Instructor of Nursing
S432 Sinclair School of Nursing
University of Missouri
Columbia, MO 65211
Adult medical/surgical nursing; Oncology
Symptom management in adults with cancer; Test construction and analysis; Curriculum development and alternative teaching methods
- BSN, The Ohio State University
- MN, University of Washington
Bio and Professional Experience
- Staff nurse: Surgical unit 1980-82
- Assistant Head Nurse: Surgical unit; 1982-83
- Oncology Clinical Nurse Specialist: 1986-1989
- Oncology Medical Head Nurse/Clinical Nurse Specialist: 1989-1990
- Faculty, Undergraduate: 1990 to present: Taught both junior and senior students in a variety of adult nursing courses
Faculty facilitator for Interdisciplinary Activities with MU Medical School and Allied Health School. Programs facilitated: Partners in Education/Partners in Care, The Integrated Interprofessional Patient Safety Curriculum, Disclosure of an Adverse Event and Interprofessional Curriculum for Patient Safety and Quality Improvement from Fall 2011-current.
Presentations and Lectures
- “Test Construction Analysis”, Undergraduate SON Faculty Meeting, Denice Mendenhall, S455 School of Nursing, both October 2008 and January 2011.
- “Identifying the Clinical Nursing Question,” 5th Evidence-Based Practice on the Front Line: Pre-Conference Workshop, University of Missouri, Columbia, MO, April 2012.
- “Evidence-Based Nursing 101: The Basics” 6th Evidence-Based Practice on the Front Line: Pre-Conference Workshop, University of Missouri, Columbia, MO, April 2013.
Honors and Awards
- Betty Crim Faculty Enhancement Award Recipient (2013)
- Outstanding Clinical Faculty from Graduating Class May 2013.
- Outstanding Clinical Faculty from Graduating Class December 2012.
- Outstanding Clinical Faculty from Graduating Class May 2011.
- Faculty Award for Excellence in Service, April 2011.
Memberships and Service
- Member, Sigma Theta Tau International 1985- present
- SON Baccalaureate Curriculum Committee (2003-present) Chairperson (2012-16)
- Committee member, Boone Hospital Nursing Research and Evidence-Based Practice Committee (2010-present)
- Founder and ongoing Committee planning member, NODE Annual Evidence Based Practice Conferences, MUSSON from 2008- present.