Adjunct Associate Professor
S331 Sinclair School of Nursing
University of Missouri
Columbia, MO 65211
Graduate Faculty Status – Yes
DNP Doctoral Faculty Status – Yes
PhD Doctoral Faculty Status – Yes
Program of Research
Dr. Bonnie Wakefield’s program of research has focused on improving the quality of patient care for older adults. She has conducted several funded studies evaluating the efficacy and effectiveness of home based, mobile, and web-based communication technologies to improve outcomes in older adults with chronic illness. She has also conducted research on patient safety and adverse events in the hospital setting.
Selected Grants, Honors and Awards
- Building Patient Centered Outcomes Research Capacity: Care Transitions, Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, Wakefield, B. (Co-I), 2013 – 2017
- National Implementation of Remote Delivery of Cardiac Rehabilitation, VA Office of Rural Health, Wakefield, B. (PI), 2014 – 2016
- eHealth Measures Compendium,Department of Veterans Affairs, Wakefield, B. (PI), 9/13 – 3/15
- Usability of a Web-Based Symptom Monitoring Tool, University of Missouri Center on Aging, Wakefield, B. (PI), 2012 – 2014
- Section Editor, Technology Innovations, Journal of Gerontological Nursing, 2002-2019
- Inducted as Fellow, American Academy of Nursing, 2009
- Best Paper in 2008, Journal of Telemedicine and e-Health, 2008
- Best Management Theory to Practice Paper, Academy of Management Health Care Management Division, 2007 (co-author)
- Career Development Award, VA Health Services Research & Development, 2000-2005
- Howland, C., & Wakefield, B. (2021). Assessing telehealth interventions for physical activity and sedentary behavior self‐management in adults with type 2 diabetes mellitus: An integrative review. Research in Nursing & Health, 44(1), 92-110.
- Drwal, K. R., Wakefield, B. J., Forman, D. E., Wu, W. C., Haraldsson, B., & El Accaoui, R. N. (2021). Home-based cardiac rehabilitation: Experience from the Veterans Affairs. Journal of Cardiopulmonary Rehabilitation and Prevention, 41(2), 93-99.
- Stroupe, K. T., Nazi, K., Hogan, T. P., Poggensee, L., Wakefield, B., Martinez, R. N., … & Smith, B. M. (2021). Web-based patient portal use and medication overlap from VA and private-sector pharmacies among older veterans. Journal of Managed Care & Specialty Pharmacy, 27(8), 983-994.
- Guzman-Clark, J., Farmer, M. M., Wakefield, B. J., Viernes, B., Yefimova, M., Lee, M. L., & Hahn, T. J. (2021). Why patients stop using their home telehealth technologies over time: Predictors of discontinuation in Veterans with heart failure. Nursing Outlook, 69(2), 159-166.
- Popejoy, L. L., Vogelsmeier, A. A., Wang, Y., Wakefield, B. J., Galambos, C. M., & Mehr, D. R. (2021). Testing Re-Engineered Discharge Program Implementation Strategies in SNFs. Clinical Nursing Research, 30(5), 644-653.
- Guzman-Clark, J., Wakefield, B. J.,Farmer, M. M., Yefimova, M., Viernes, B., Lee, M. L., & Hahn, T. J. (2021). Adherence to the use of home telehealth technologies and emergency room visits in Veterans with heart failure. Telemedicine and e-Health, 27(9), 1003-1010.
- Wakefield, B. J., Turvey, C., Hogan, T., Shimada, S., Nazi, K., Cao, L., … & Smith, B. (2020). Impact of patient portal use on duplicate laboratory tests in diabetes management. Telemedicine and e-Health, 26(10), 1211-1220.
- Omboni, S., McManus, R. J., Bosworth, H. B., Chappell, L. C., Green, B. B., Kario, K., … & Wakefield, B. J. (2020). Evidence and recommendations on the use of telemedicine for the management of arterial hypertension: an international expert position paper. Hypertension, 76(5), 1368-1383.
- Drwal, K. R., Forman, D. E., Wakefield, B. J., & El Accaoui, R. N. (2020). Cardiac rehabilitation during COVID-19 pandemic: highlighting the value of home-based programs. Telemedicine and e-Health, 26(11), 1322-1324.
- Wakefield, B. J., Lampman, M. A., Paez, M. B., & Stewart, G. L. (2020). Care management and care coordination within a patient-centered medical home. JONA: The Journal of Nursing Administration, 50(11), 565-570.
- Despins, L. A., & Wakefield, B. J. (2020). Making sense of blood glucose data and self‐management in individuals with type 2 diabetes mellitus: A qualitative study. Journal of Clinical Nursing, 29(13-14), 2572-2588.
- Guzman-Clark, J., Yefimova, M., Farmer, M. M., Wakefield, B. J., Viernes, B., Lee, M. L., & Hahn, T. J. (2020). Home telehealth technologies for heart failure: An examination of adherence among veterans. Journal of Gerontological Nursing, 46(7), 26-34.
- Popejoy, L. L., Vogelsmeier, A. A., Wakefield, B. J., Galambos, C. M., Lewis, A. M., Huneke, D., & Mehr, D. R. (2020). Adapting project RED to skilled nursing facilities. Clinical Nursing Research, 29(3), 149-156.
- Howland, C., Despins, L., Sindt, J., Wakefield, B., & Mehr, D. R. (2020). Primary care clinic nurse activities with a telehealth monitoring system. Western Journal of Nursing Research, 43(1), 5-12.
- Popejoy, L. L., Wakefield, B. J.,Vogelsmeier, A. A., Galambos, C. M., Lewis, A. M., Huneke, D., … & Mehr, D. R. (2020). Re-engineering Skilled Nursing Facility Discharge: Analysis of RED Implementation. Journal of Nursing Care Quality, 35(2), 158.
- Wakefield, B. J., Drwal, K., Paez, M., Grover, S., Franciscus, C., Reisinger, H. S., … & El Accaoui, R. (2019). Creating and disseminating a home-based cardiac rehabilitation program: experience from the Veterans Health Administration. BMC Cardiovascular Disorders, 19(1), 1-7.
- Van Tiem, J. M., Steffensmeier, K. R. S., Wakefield, B. J., Stewart, G. L., Zemblidge, N. A., Steffen, M. J., & Moeckli, J. (2019). Taking note: a qualitative study of implementing a scribing practice in team-based primary care clinics. BMC Health Services Research, 19(1), 1-9.
- Folarinde, B., Alexander, G. L., Galambos, C., Wakefield, B. J., Vogelsmeier, A., & Madsen, R. W. (2019). Exploring perceptions of health care providers’ use of electronic advance directive forms in electronic health records. Journal of Gerontological Nursing, 45(1), 17-21.
- Orique, S. B., Despins, L., Wakefield, B. J.,Erdelez, S., & Vogelsmeier, A. (2019). Perception of clinical deterioration cues among medical‐surgical nurses. Journal of Advanced Nursing, 75(11), 2627-2637.
- Wakefield, B. J., & Vaughan-Sarrazin, M. (2018). Strain and Satisfaction in Caregivers of Veterans With Type 2 Diabetes. The Diabetes Educator, 44(5), 435-443.
- Despins, L. A., & Wakefield, B. J. (2018). The role of the electronic medical record in the intensive care unit nurse’s detection of patient deterioration: a qualitative study. CIN: Computers, Informatics, Nursing, 36(6), 284-292.
- Wakefield, B. J., Alexander, G., Dohrmann, M., & Richardson, J. (2017). Design and evaluation of a web-based symptom monitoring tool for heart failure. CIN: Computers, Informatics, Nursing, 35(5), 248-254.