Sinclair School of Nursing
University of Missouri
Columbia, MO 65211
Program of Research
Dr. Sales’ research focuses on design and development of implementation interventions across multiple health care settings and conditions. She has particular interest in feedback interventions as well as interventions using social networks and social influence. She is a generalist health services researcher, using mixed methods approaches to conducting research. She is active in training implementation researchers nationally and internationally.
Selected Grants, Honors and Awards
Iwashyna, Sales co-PI 7/2018-6/2022
K12 Institutional Training Grant $2,977,378
Training to Advance Care through Implementation Science in Cardiac and Lung Illnesses (TACTICAL)
QUE 15-288 10/01/2015-09/30/2020
VA QUERI Program (Sales PI) $3,800,000
Implementing Goals of Care Conversations with Veterans in VA LTC Settings
This project supported implementation of an updated VA handbook on documenting Veterans goals, preferences and values regarding life sustaining treatment and care goals more generally, for Veterans in long term care settings throughout the Veterans Health Administration.
U01 HL 143453 08/15//2018-08/30//2020
NHLBI (Sales PI) $876,843
Digital Implementation Intervention Trials in Acute Lung Care (DIGITAL-C) Network Planning
The long-term aim of this project was to design and conduct a stepped-wedged, cluster randomized controlled hybrid effectiveness-implementation trial to determine the effectiveness of unified implementation of EBPs within the continuum of care in ARF and ARDS to decrease mortality and duration of mechanical ventilation.
Selected Publications – Last 5 years only
1. Van T, Annis AM, Yosef M, Robinson CH, Duffy SA, Li YF, Taylor BA, Krein S, Sullivan SC, Sales A. Nurse staffing and healthcare-associated infections in a national healthcare system that implemented a nurse staffing directive: Multi-level interrupted time series analyses. Int J Nurs Stud. 2020 Apr;104:103531. doi: 10.1016/j.ijnurstu.2020.103531. Epub 2020 Jan 20. PubMed PMID: 32062053.
2. Wensing M, Sales A, Armstrong R, Wilson P. Implementation science in times of Covid-19. Implement Sci. 2020 Jun 8;15(1):42. doi: 10.1186/s13012-020-01006-x. PubMed PMID: 32513292; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC7276954.
3. Kononowech J, Landis-Lewis Z, Carpenter J, Ersek M, Hogikyan R, Levy C, Phibbs C, Scott W, Sales AE. Visual process maps to support implementation efforts: a case example. Implement Sci Commun. 2020 Nov 25;1(1):105. doi: 10.1186/s43058-020-00094-6. PubMed PMID: 33292818; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC7687814.
4. Kononowech J, Hagedorn H, Hall C, Helfrich CD, Lambert-Kerzner AC, Miller SC, Sales AE, Damschroder L. Mapping the organizational readiness to change assessment to the Consolidated Framework for Implementation Research. Implement Sci Commun. 2021 Feb 13;2(1):19. doi: 10.1186/s43058-021-00121-0. PubMed PMID: 33581728; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC7881456.
5. Barnes GD, Acosta J, Kurlander JE, Sales AE. Using Health Systems Engineering Approaches to Prepare for Tailoring of Implementation Interventions. J Gen Intern Med. 2021 Jan;36(1):178-185. doi: 10.1007/s11606-020-06121-5. Epub 2020 Aug 31. PubMed PMID: 32865770; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC7859134.
6. Ervin JN, Rentes VC, Dibble ER, Sjoding MW, Iwashyna TJ, Hough CL, Ng Gong M, Sales AE. Evidence-Based Practices for Acute Respiratory Failure and Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome: A Systematic Review of Reviews. Chest. 2020 Dec;158(6):2381-2393. doi: 10.1016/j.chest.2020.06.080. Epub 2020 Jul 16. PubMed PMID: 32682771; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC7768938.
7. Skolarus LE, Neshewat GM, Evans L, Green M, Rehman N, Landis-Lewis Z, Schrader JW, Sales AE. Understanding determinants of acute stroke thrombolysis using the tailored implementation for chronic diseases framework: a qualitative study. BMC Health Serv Res. 2019 Mar 20;19(1):182. doi: 10.1186/s12913-019-4012-6. PubMed PMID: 30894152; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC6425596.
8. Annis AM, Robinson CH, Yankey N, Krein SL, Duffy SA, Taylor B, Sales A. Factors Associated With the Implementation of a Nurse Staffing Directive. J Nurs Adm. 2017 Dec;47(12):636-644. doi: 10.1097/NNA.0000000000000559. PubMed PMID: 29135855.
9. Su GL, Glass L, Tapper EB, Van T, Waljee AK, Sales AE. Virtual Consultations through the Veterans Administration SCAN-ECHO Project Improves Survival for Veterans with Liver Disease. Hepatology. 2018 May 5. doi: 10.1002/hep.30074. [Epub ahead of print] PubMed PMID: 29729194.