Two Students Selected for Mizzou ’39

Two Sinclair School of Nursing students were selected for one of the University’s highest honors for students, the Mizzou ’39 Award. 

The Mizzou ’39 Award is presented annually to 39 outstanding seniors, who are chosen for their academic achievement, leadership and service to Mizzou and the community. 

Kira Larson, originally from Fargo, N.D., was selected for her efforts on and off the volleyball court. She is a member of the Mizzou Volleyball team and has been selected as part of the NCAA All American Volleyball team and the All SEC Honor Roll. She is also a member of the Three Stripes Club, which honors Mizzou athletes for their efforts in the community.

“It is awesome to be able to represent this university as well as the wonderful nursing school I am a part of,” Larson says. “I wouldn’t be where I am at Mizzou without my fellow classmates, teachers and mentors. I know I presented a difficult challenge doing nursing school while being a student-athlete, but it truly has been the most rewarding experiences of my life.”

From Pevely, Mo., Gabrielle Vest was selected for her many roles across campus. She is the founder and president of Mizzou Unity Coalition, which unites students with people in the community with disabilities. She is also the program director for Mizzou Global Brigates and a member of Omicron Delta Kappa, Kappa Delta, and the Chancellor’s Committee for Persons with Disabilities.

“Both of my parents are Mizzou graduates, and this community has always felt like home to me,” Vest says. “Mizzou ’39 is an incredible honor that I am so grateful to receive. I am driven by my passion for others and for Mizzou to make an impact on this university which I am so deeply attached to, but this tradition is about so much more than honoring an individual — it is about honoring the spirit of this university that drives its students to success.”