Associate Director, Meta-Analysis Research Center
S423 Sinclair School of Nursing
University of Missouri
Columbia, MO 65211
Gerontological nursing, Community-health nursing
Chronic illness self-management in older adults; Health behavior change interventions; Adherence to medication regimens; Meta-analysis research methods
- BSN, Saint Louis University, St. Louis, MO
- MSN(R), Saint Louis University, St. Louis, MO
- PhD, University of Missouri, Columbia, MO
- Postdoctoral Fellowship, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Leuven, Belgium
Area of Doctoral Study
Health behavior change interventions for older adults
Area of Post-doctoral Study
Program of Research
Dr. Ruppar conducts both meta-analysis and clinical research to quantify the various influences on adherence to cardiovascular medications and to then improve patient outcomes by developing effective interventions through which patients and providers can work together to address non-adherence to cardiovascular medications. Dr. Ruppar’s work has been funded by the John A Hartford Foundation’s Building Academic Geriatric Nursing Capacity program, the University of Missouri Interdisciplinary Center on Aging, the University of Iowa Hartford Center for Geriatric Nursing Excellence, the PhRMA Foundation, and the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation Nurse Faculty Scholars Program.
- N4970 – Nursing in Communities
- N9460 – Health Behavior Change Research
- N9550 – Meta-Analysis Research
- Meta-Analysis Summer Institute
Selected Grants and Awards
- SmartMed-ID: Smartphone-based Medication Identification – University of Missouri/Wallace H. Coulter Foundation, 2016-2017
- Addressing Health Disparities in Antihypertensive Medication Adherence – Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, 2013-2016
- Comparative Effectiveness of Heart Failure Medication Adherence Interventions – PhRMA Foundation, 2013-2014
- Ruppar, T.M., Cooper, P.S., Mehr, D.R., Delgado, J.M., Dunbar-Jacob, J.M. (2016). Medication adherence interventions improve heart failure mortality and readmission rates: Systematic review and meta-analysis of controlled trials. Journal of the American Heart Association, 5:e002606. doi: 10.1161/JAHA.115.002606.
- Chase, J.D., Bogener, J., Ruppar, T.M., & Conn, V.S. (2016). The effectiveness of medication adherence interventions among patients with coronary artery disease: A meta-analysis. Journal of Cardiovascular Nursing, 31(4), 357-366.
- Conn, V.S., Ruppar, T.M., Chase, J.D. (2016). Blood pressure outcomes of medication adherence interventions: Systematic review and meta-analysis. Journal of Behavioral Medicine. E-pub ahead of print. doi:10.1007/s10865-016-9730-1.
- Delgado, J.M. & Ruppar, T.M. (2015). Health literacy in elderly Latinos with heart failure. Journal of Cardiovascular Nursing. E-pub ahead of print. doi: 10.1097/JCN.0000000000000314.
- Ruppar, T.M., Dobbels, F., Lewek, P., Matyjaszczyk, M., Siebens, K., De Geest, S.M. (2015). Systematic review of clinical practice guidelines for the improvement of medication adherence. International Journal of Behavioral Medicine, 22(6), 699-708. doi:10.1007/s12529-015-9479-x.
- Conn, V.S., Ruppar, T.M., Enriquez, M., Cooper, P.S., & Chan, K. (2015). Health care provider targeted interventions to improve medication adherence: Systematic review and meta-analysis. International Journal of Clinical Practice, 69(8), 889-899. doi:10.1111/ijcp.12632.
- Astin, F., Carroll, D., Ruppar, T., Uchmanowicz, I., Hinterbuchner, L., Kletsiou, E., Serafin, A., Ketchell, A., on behalf of the Education Committee of the Council on Cardiovascular Nursing and Allied Professions. (2015). A core curriculum for the continuing professional development of nurses: Developed by the Education Committee on behalf of the Council on Cardiovascular Nursing and Allied Professions of ESC. European Journal of Cardiovascular Nursing, 14(3), 190-197.
- Ruppar, T.M., Delgado, J.M., Temple, J. (2015). Medication adherence interventions for heart failure patients: A meta-analysis. European Journal of Cardiovascular Nursing, 14(5), 395-404.
- Conn, V., Ruppar, T., Chan, K., Dunbar-Jacob, J., Pepper, G., & De Geest, S. (2015) Packaging interventions to increase medication adherence: systematic review and meta-analyis. Current Medical Research and Opinion, 31(1), 145-160.
- Ruppar, T.M., Conn, V.S., Chase, J.D., Phillips, L.J. (2014). Lipid outcomes from supervised exercise interventions in healthy adults. American Journal of Health Behavior, 38(6), 823-830.
- De Geest, S., Ruppar, T., Berben, L., Schonfeld, S., Hill, M.N. (2014). Medication non-adherence as a critical factor in the management of presumed resistant hypertension: A narrative review. Eurointervention, 9(9), 1102-1109.
- Demonceau, J., Ruppar, T., Kristano, P., Hughes, D.A., Fargher, E., Kardas, P., De Geest, S., Dobbels, F., Lewek, P., Urquhart, J., Vrijens, B., for the ABC Project Team. (2013). Indentification and assessment of adherence-enhancing interventions: A systematic literature review and meta-analysis. Drugs, 73(6), 545-562.
- Ruppar, T.M., Dobbels, F., & De Geest, S. (2012). Medication beliefs and antihypertensive adherence among older adults: A pilot study. Geriatric Nursing, 33(2), 89-95.
- Vrijens, B., Demonceau, J., Hughes, D., De Geest, S., Kardas, P., Ruppar, T., Dobbels, F., Fargher, E., Morrison, V., Lewek, P., Matyjaszczyk, M., Mshelia, C., Clyne, W., Urquhart, J., for the ABC project team (2012). A new taxonomy for describing and defining adherence to medications. British Journal of Clinical Pharmacology, 73(5), 691-705.
- Ruppar, T.M. (2010). Randomized pilot study of a behavioral feedback intervention to improve medication adherence in older adults with hypertension. Journal of Cardiovascular Nursing, 25, 470-479.
Presentations and Lectures
- Ruppar, T.M., Cooper, P.S., Delgado, J.M., Conn, V.S. (2016, March). Risks for Mortality and Readmission Improve with Medication Adherence Intervention among Heart Failure Patients: Meta-Analysis of Controlled Trials. Midwest Nursing Research Society, Milwaukee, WI.
- Ruppar, T.M. (2015, August). Improving Medication Adherence for Patients with Chronic Conditions. International keynote address at the Australian Cardiovascular Health and Rehabilitation Association 25th Annual Meeting, Melbourne, Australia.
- Ruppar, T.M. (2015, August). Medication Adherence: Putting Theory into Practice. Workshop delivered at the Australian Cardiovascular Health and Rehabilitation Association 25th Annual Meeting, Melbourne, Australia.
- Ruppar, T.M. (2015, May). Improving Adherence to Medication for Patients with Chronic Conditions. University of Lausanne, Switzerland.
- Ruppar, T.M. (2015, May). Systematic Reviews and Meta-Analyses. University of Lausanne, Switzerland.
- Ruppar, T.M., Delgado, J.M., Conn, V.S. (2015, April). Outcomes of interventions to improve heart failure medication adherence: A meta-analysis. Midwest Nursing Research Society, Indianapolis, IN.
- Ruppar, T.M. (2014, November). Meta-analysis of heart failure medication adherence interventions. The European Symposium on Patient Adherence, Compliance and Persistance, Lausanne, Switzerland.
- Ruppar, T.M. (2014, November). Adapted Medication Management Approaches for Elders. American Heart Association Scientific Sessions, Chicago, IL.
- Ruppar, T.M. & Conn, V.S. (2014, September). Medication adherence interventions for heart failure patients: A meta-analysis. Council for the Advancement of Nursing Science 2014 State of the Science Congress on Nursing Research, Washington, D.C.
- Ruppar, T.M. & Conn, V.S. (2014, August). Heart failure medication adherence interventions: Meta-analysis of adherence outcomes. European Society of Cardiology Congress, Barcelona, Spain.
Honors and Awards
- Fellow, American Heart Association
- Nursing & Allied Professional Investigator Award, European Society of Cardiology
- Nurse Faculty Scholar, Robert Wood Johnson Foundation
- Faculty Award for Excellence in Research, MU Sinclair School of Nursing Alumni Association
- John A Hartford Foundation – Atlantic Philanthropies Claire M. Fagin Fellow, 2010-2012
- Midwest Nursing Research Society Gerontological Nursing Research Section Dissertation Award, 2010
- Best of Journal of Nursing Scholarship Award: Clinical Scholarship, 2009
- PhD Student Award for Overall Excellence, MU Sinclair School of Nursing Alumni Association, 2008
- John A. Hartford Foundation Building Academic Geriatric Nursing Capacity Scholar, 2007-2009
- American Heart Association
- Council for the Advancement of Nursing Science
- European Society of Cardiology Council on Cardiovascular Nursing and Allied Professions
- Gerontological Society of America
- Leuven-Basel Adherence Research Group
- Midwest Nursing Research Society
- Sigma Theta Tau International
- American Nurses Association/Missouri Nurses Association