Assistant Dean, Nursing Outreach & Associate Teaching Professor
S266 Sinclair School of Nursing
University of Missouri
Columbia, MO 65211
Continuing education for the nursing profession, Variables that influence the likelihood of practice change after CNE participation
Research focuses on transfer of learning from the classroom to the practice setting; Barriers to practice-related change
- BS(N), University of Missouri, Columbia, Mo.
- MS(N), University of Illinois, Chicago
- PhD, University of Missouri, Columbia, Mo.
Area of Doctoral Study
Higher and Adult Education
- Vogelsmeier, A.A, Farrah, S.J, Roam, A., Ott, L. (2010). Evaluation of a leadership development academy for RNs in Long Term Care. Nursing Administration Quarterly, 34(2); 122-129.
- DeSilets, L. and Farrah, S.J. (in press). Continuing nursing education 101. Journal of Continuing Education in Nursing.
- Farrah, S.J. (2003). Lecture. In M.W. Galbraith (Ed.), Adult learning methods: A guide for effective instruction (3rd ed.). Melbourne, FL: Krieger.
- Farrah, S.J. and Graham, S.W. (2002). Variables influencing the likelihood of practice change after continuing education. Adult Education Quarterly, 49(3), 2-13. Previously published in Journal of Continuing Higher Education, 49 (2001), 2-13. Previously published in Educational Resources Information Center (ERIC) (2000).
Bio and Professional Experience
A continuing nursing education administrator for 24 years, Dr. Farrah directs the Nursing Outreach unit, the primary educational outreach arm of the school. Her prior experience includes teaching in both junior and senior colleges as well as at MU. Her practice experience includes positions as staff nurse, team leader, primary nurse, education nurse, research nurse, and staff developer, all in hospital-based settings, in both rural and metropolitan areas. She serves as a reviewer for the Journal of Continuing Education in Nursing and has published in journals such as Nursing Educator and the Journal of Continuing Higher Education. She has been nationally certified in the area of continuing education and staff development through the American Nurses Credentialing Center since 1992. During the past five years, Dr. Farrah has received $551,417 in competitive grants and contracts. She has directed projects with topics from continuing education for school nurses, to maternal child health, to transferring geriatric research into practice, to a leadership development for RNs in long-term care.
Honors and Awards
- Donald W. Fancher Provost Award for Outstanding Achievement in Extension and Continuing Education (2013).
- Excellence in Nursing Award, Alpha Iota Chapter, Sigma Theta Tau (March 2006)
- Division I Best Paper Presented by a New Investigator at the Annual Meeting of the American Educational Research Association, New Orleans, (April 2000)
- Excellence in Research Award, Region IV, University Continuing Education Association (1998-1999)
- Excellence in Service Award, MU Sinclair School of Nursing (1994-1995)
- Provost’s Award for Outstanding Achievement in Extension and Continuing Education (1991)
- American Nurses Association
- Missouri Nurses Association
- 7th District Missouri Nurses Association
- University of Missouri-Columbia Nursing Alumni Organization
- Sigma Theta Tau, International