Associate Dean for Academic Affairs & Associate Professor
Adult Medical-Surgical, Critical Nursing
New graduate nurse transition, clinical reasoning and decision making, academic progression
- PhD, University of Maryland, Baltimore, MD
- MS(N), California State University, Fresno, CA
- BSN, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC
Area of Doctoral Study
The relationship between critical thinking, program outcomes and NCLEX-RN performance in BSN students
Dr. Janice Hoffman has over 20 years of academic nursing experience and has taught in baccalaureate, associate and diploma nursing programs, as well as serving in Staff Development positions in acute care and military facilities. Her areas of expertise include new graduate transition, preceptor development and clinical decision making. Dr. Hoffman is a retired United States Navy Nurse Corps Captain.
Selected Grants and Awards
- 2015- Planning Grant to Analyze Feasibility of Statewide Associates to Bachelors and Associates to Masters Programs to Increase Educational Levels of Maryland Nurses (PI) Maryland Health Services Cost Review Commission (NSP II) Grant $247,291
- 2015- Awarding Academic Credit for Participation in Graduate Residency Programs (PI) Maryland Health Services Cost Review Commission (NSP II) Grant $165,391
- 2014- Registered Nurse to Bachelors of Science in Nursing Option at the Laurel College Center – Author/PI/Non-USM Regional Higher Education Incentive Grant $345,412
- 2013- Increasing the Number of Baccalaureate Prepared Nurses in Maryland through Revision and Enhancement of an RN to BSN Program (PI) Maryland Health Services Cost Review Commission (NSP II) Grant $298,915
- 2011- Development and Implementation of a Statewide Preceptor Program (Co-PI) Maryland Health Services Cost Review Commission (NSP II) Grant $433,000
- Hoffman, J.J. and Sullivan, N. (August 2016). Medical Sugical Nursing: Making Connections in Practice. Philadelphia: F.A. Davis. Philadelphia.
- Hoffman, J.J. (2015). Chapter 1 – Test Taking Strategies in Flagg and Sloand’s Pediatric Nurse Practitioner Review, 6th Ed. Boston: Jones and Bartlett, Publishers.
- Hoffman, J.J. (2015). Chapter 4 – Critical thinking in Yoost and Crawford’s Fundamentals of Nursing: Active Learning for Collaborative Practice. Philadelphia: Elsevier.
- Hoffman, J.J. (2013). Chapter 23 – Common Renal Disorders in Capriotti and Frizzell’s Pathophysiology: Introductory Concepts and Clinical Connections. Philadelphia: F.A. Davis.
- Hoffman, J.J. & Hausman, K. (2013). Chapter 37 – Spinal Cord Injury in Morton and Fontaine’s Critical Care Nursing: A Holistic Approach, 10th Ed., Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins.
- Faddoul, B., Kelemen, A., Connerney, I. & Hoffman, J.J. (2012). Patients perceptions of a game about Warfarin and Vitamin K: A pilot study. Games for Health Journal.
- Hoffman, J.J. (2008). Toward a Better Understanding of Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis. Home Healthcare Nurse: The Journal for the Home Care and Hospice Professional, 26(6), 337-344.
- Hoffman, J.J. (2008). Teaching Strategies to Facilitate Nursing Students’ Critical Thinking in M. Oermann’s Annual Review of Nursing Education. New York: Springer Publication Company.
- Newhouse, R., Hoffman, J., Suflita, J. & Hairston, D. (2007). Evaluating an innovative program to improve new nurse graduate socialization into the acute healthcare setting. Nursing Administrative Quarterly, 31(1), 50-60.
- Perspective on Writing for NCLEX-RN; invited speaker; Institue for Educators in Nursing and Health Professions; University of Maryland School of Nursing; Baltimore, MD; April 2015
- The Future of Nursing: Implication for Nurse Educators; invited speaker; Stevenson University’s Graduate Nursing Workshop; Owings Mills, MD; April 2014
- Essential Competencies for Preceptors: A Focus on Working with Nursing Students; National League for Nursing Educational Summit; Washington, D.C.; September 2013
- The Future of Nursing: Leading Change, Advancing Health (IOM, 2010), Implications for Nurse Managers; Invited speaker; Maryland Nurse Manager Consortium; Baltimore, MD; October 2012
- Test Contruction Workshop; invited speaker; Johns Hopkins University School of Nursing; Baltimore, MD; April 2012
- Test Development and Analysis Workshop; invited speaker; Barton College; Wilson, NC; January 2012
- The Relationships between Critical Thinking, Program Outcomes and NCLEX-RN Performance; Southern Nursing Research Society Conference; Baltimore, MD; February 2009
- The Unique Role of the Nurse Educator in an Innovative New Graduate Nurse Internship Program; Oncology Nurses Society Conference; Philadelphia, PA; April 2008
- New Graduate Nurse Socialization and Retention: Strategies for the Nurse Executive; American Organization of Nurse Executive’s 40th Anniversary Annual Meeting and Exposition; Washington, DC; April 2007
- Approaches to Teaching and Evaluating Nursing Students in the Clinical Setting; invited speaker; The American University of Beirut Nursing School Beirut, Lebanon; July 2007
- Evaluation of an Innovative New Graduate Transition Program: Social and Professional Reality Integration for Nurse Graduates (SPRING); Sigma Theta Tau International’s 15th Internation Nursing Research Congress (peer reviewed); Dublin, Ireland; July 2004
Honors and Awards
- Outstanding Leadership Award, Maryland Nurses Association (2015)
- Fellow, Academy of Nursing Education (2013)
- Rosalie Silber Abrams Legislative Award, Maryland Nurses Association (2011)
- Fellow, Leadership for Academic Nursing Programs (2010)
Excellence in Teaching Award, Johns Hopkins University School of Nursing (2007)
- American Nurses Association
- National League for Nursing
- Sigma Theta Tau
- Editorial Board, Nurse Educator