Instructor Emerita of Nursing
S428 Sinclair School of Nursing
University of Missouri
Columbia, MO 65211
Nursing leadership and management
- BSN, University of Missouri, Columbia, Mo.
- MS(N), University of Missouri, Columbia, Mo.
Bio and Professional Experience
She began her professional career as a Staff Nurse in the Medical Intensive Care Unit at the Med Center (now known as the University Hospital and Clinics) in Columbia. She was appointed Head Nurse in 1974 and, since then, has continued to assume increasing responsibilities and administrative roles.
While serving as chief nurse, Donna also held a joint faculty appointment with the MU Sinclair School of Nursing and has enjoyed mentoring students. She has served as a preceptor for many students who have chosen to focus their studies in the area of nursing leadership and management.
In the spring of 2001, Donna joined the faculty at the school of nursing and has been associated with the RN-BSN program. Says Otto, “It has been great fun to learn daily how to transfer my knowledge and skills from the service world to the academic setting. When I am not teaching, I assist as project coordinator for Tiger Place, (the school’s aging in place project), and serve as the Director of Alumni Relations.”
Honors and Awards
- Leader of Leaders Award National Student Nurses Association (2010)
- Betty Crim Faculty Enhancement Award Sinclair School of Nursing (2009)
- Excellence in Nursing Leadership Sigma Theta Tau (Alpha Iota Chapter) (2009)
- Honor Tap Mystical 7 University of Missouri (2008)
- Citation of Merit MU Nursing Alumni Organization (2007)
- Golden Column Award University Hospital Recognition (2006)
- Faculty Award for Excellence in Service MU Sinclair School of Nursing (2004)
- Excellence in Nursing Award Sigma theta Tau, Alpha Iota Chapter (2003)
- Distinguished Friend of the School of Nursing Award, University of Missouri-Columbia (1999)
- MU Alumni Association Lifetime member (1980-present)
- American Nurses Association (1975-present)
- Sigma Theta Tau (Alpha Iota Chapter) (1980-present)
- Griffiths Leadership Society for MIZZOU Alumni Women (2012-present)