Pediatric primary care
Primary health care needs of children, Children with chronic health care conditions, Research focus of how families of divorce and remarriage manage the child’s health care during transitions of family life.
- BSN, Southern Illinois University, Edwardsville, Ill.
- MS(N), University of Missouri, Columbia, Mo.
- PhD, University of Missouri, Columbia, Mo.
Area of Doctoral Study
Human, child development and family studies
- Honig, J., Gayer, D., Ivey, J., Davis, R., & Miller, J. Population-Focused Competencies Task Force (2013). Population-Focused Nurse Practitioner Competencies. Pediatric Primary Care. National Organization of Nurse Practitioner Faculties: Washington, DC.
- Gayer, D. and Ganong, L. (2006). Family structure and mother’s caregiving of children with cystic fibrosis. Journal of Family Nursing. 12 (4), 390-412.
- Gayer, D. (Consultant). (2003). Helping children seize the day. An update on the treatment of ADHD. Case studies (DVD). Available from Celltech Pharmaceuticals.
- Ganong, L. Doty, M.E. and Gayer, D. (2003). Mothers in postdivorce families caring for a child with cystic fibrosis. Journal of Pediatric Nursing, 18(5), 332-343.
- Bullock, L., Libbus, M.K., Lewis, S., and Gayer, D. (2002). Continuing education: Improving perceived competence in school nurses. The Journal of School Nursing, 18, 360-363.
- Sable, M.R., Larrivee, L.S., and Gayer, D. (2001). Problem-based learning: Opportunities for training interdisciplinary health care teams. Journal of Teaching in Social Work, 21, 217-234.
Bio and Professional Experience
First ever DNP director, coordinator of the Pediatric Nurse Practitioner area of study; Clinical practice in a primary care pediatric practice
Presentations and Lectures
- Gayer, D. (June 20, 2013). Family Structure and Mothers’ Caregiving of Children with Cystic Fibrosis, 11th International Family Nursing Conference, Minneapolis, Minnesota.
- Gayer, D. (May 22, 2013). Tegrity Lecture Capture Consultation. 2013 Celebration of Teaching. Columbia, MO.
- Gayer, D (May 22, 2013). Collaborate for Online Conferencing. 2013 Celebration of Teaching. Columbia, MO.
- Gayer, D. (February 22, 2013). Best Practices and Benefits of Blackboard Collaborate. Educational Technologies at Missouri, Columbia, MO.
- Wipke-Tevis, D., Gayer, D., & Oliver, G. (January 23-26, 2013), Closing the Loop: Bringing DNP & PhD Students Back Together Again, AACN 2013 Doctoral Education Conference, San Diego, CA.
- Gayer, D. (September 28, 2012). Developing an Online Doctoral Program. Educational Technologies at Missouri, Columbia, MO.
- Gayer, D. (March 2012), Review of Instructional Designers for Graduate Nursing Program. ET@MO, MU Columbia Campus.
- Wipke-Tevis, D., Gayer, D., & Oliver, G. (January 25-28, 2012), Intradisciplinary Collaboration: The Key to Success in the Simultaneous Development of Distance-Mediated
- DNP and PhD Programs, AACN 2012 Doctoral Education Conference, Naples FL.
- Gayer, D. (November 11, 2011), Online Teaching/Learning Strategies: What Works and What Doesn’t, 16th Annual Midwest Regional Nursing Educators Conference, Columbia, MO.
- Gayer, D. (November 12, 2010), Innovations in E-Learning, Annual Nursing Educators Conference, Columbia, MO.
- Gayer, D. (May 19, 2010), E-learning tools for blackboard, Celebration for Teaching Excellence, Columbia, MO.
- Gayer, D. (October 1, 2009), Assessment and Evidence-Based Management of ADHD in Children, NPACE Primary Care Conference: Addressing the Challenges of Providing Primary Care Across the Lifespan, St Louis, MO.
- Gayer, D. (2008, April). “Assessing mental health issues in primary care pediatric practice.” 29th Annual National Association of Pediatric Nurse Practitioner Conference.
- Gayer, D. (2005, April). “Education gaps regarding vaccine administration.” Paper presented at the 26th Annual National Association of Pediatric Nurse Practitioners Conference.
- Gayer, D., Garzon, D., Bufford, T. and Waganer, K. (April, 2003). “Using web-based instruction to enhance PNP education through intercampus collaboration.” Poster presented at National Organization of Nurse Practitioner Faculties conference, Philadelphia.
- Gayer, D. (2003, November). “Intercampus collaboration using web-based instruction to enhance PNP education.” Paper presented at the 30th National Conference on Professional Nursing Education and Development. Kansas City, Mo.
- Gayer, D. (2000). “Using program-generated electronic databases in clinical education.” Paper presented at the 26th Annual Meeting. National Organization of Nurse Practitioner Faculties.
Honors and Awards
- Presidential Faculty Award Inter-Campus Collaboration
- Fellow of Pediatric Nurse Practitioners
- Honor — Home Economics, Family and Consumer Sciences, Dietetic Professionals with Military Service
- Leadership Development Program, University of Missouri
- Faculty Recognition Award — 25 years of service
- Model Proposal. Office of Research
- Association of Faculties of Pediatric Nurse Practitioners (AFPNP)
- International Family Nursing Association
- National Organization of Nurse Practitioner Faculties (NONPF)
- National Association of Pediatric Nurse Practitioners (NAPNAP)