Lorraine J. Phillips, PhD, RN
John A. Hartford Foundation Claire M. Fagin Fellow
S414 Sinclair School of Nursing
University of Missouri
Columbia, MO 65211
Gerontology, Long-Term Care, Disability, Active Aging
Physical activity to optimize functioning and slow disability for older adults in senior housing; Long-term care environments that facilitate active aging; Detection and effects of depression in long-term care residents
- BSN, The Pennsylvania State University, University Park, Pa.
- MSN, University of Delaware, Newark, Del.
- PhD, The University of Texas at Austin, Austin, Texas
Area of doctoral study
Psychosocial influences of disability in women with chronic illness
Area of post-doctoral study
Testing a storytelling intervention in nursing home residents with dementia; MDS analysis
Program of research
Dr. Phillips conducts research on the physical, cognitive, and emotional functioning of long-term care residents. Dr. Phillips’ current NIH R15 funded project is examining determinants and outcomes of physical activity and the relationship of those factors to disability in residents of residential care and assisted living communities. She serves as a Co-investigator on Dr. Rantz’s technology studies to enhance aging in place. Dr. Phillips also conducts meta-analysis research on physical activity in long-term care populations.
Selected Grants and Awards
- Physical Activity and Disability in Residential Care/Assisted Living Residents – (R15) National Institutes of Health, $443,725, 2011-2014
- A Pilot Study of TimeSlips in Nursing Home Residents with Dementia — Iowa Gerontological Nursing Interventions Research Center, $15,000, 2008-2009
- Hartford Post-doc — Building Academic Geriatric Nursing Capacity — American Academy of Nurses, $120,000, 2008-2009
- Rantz, M.J., Scott, S.D., Miller, S.J., Skubic, M., Phillips, L., Alexander, G., Koopman, R.J., Musterman, K., & Back, J. (2013). Evaluation of health alerts from an early illness warning system in independent living. CIN: Computer, Informatics, Nursing, 31(6) published online ahead of print.
- Phillips, L. J. & Flesner, M. (2013). Factors affecting physical activity behavior of elders in long-term care settings. Journal of Aging and Physical Activity, 31, 33-50.
- Conn, V., Ruppar, T., Phillips, L., & Chase, J. (2012). Using meta-analyses for comparative effectiveness research. Nursing Outlook, 60, 182-190.
- Rantz, M., Skubic, M., Koopman, R. J., Alexander, G. L., Phillips, L., Musterman, K., Back, J., Aud, M. A., Galambos, C., Guevara, R. D., & Miller, S. (2012). Automated Technology to Speed Recognition of Signs of Illness in Older Adults. Journal of Gerontological Nursing, 38, 18-23.
- Conn, V., Phillips, L., Ruppar, T., & Chase, J. (2012). Physical activity interventions with healthy minority adults: Meta-analysis of behavior and health outcomes. Journal of Health Care for the Poor and Underserved, 23, 59-80.
- Phillips, L. J. (2012). Measuring symptoms of depression: Comparing the Cornell Scale for Depression in Dementia and the Patient Health Questionnaire-9 Observation Version. Research in Gerontological Nursing, 5, 34-42.
- Alexander, G. L., Rantz, M., Skubic, M., Koopman, R. J., Phillips, L. J., Guevara, R. D., & Miller, S. (2011). Evolution of an early illness warning system to monitor frail elders in independent living. Journal of Healthcare Engineering, 2,337-363.
- Rantz, M.J., Phillips, L., Aud, M., Marek, K. D., Hicks, L. L., Zaniletti, I., & Miller, S.J. (2011). Evaluation of aging in place model with home care services and registered nurse care coordination in senior housing. Nursing Outlook, 59, 37-46.
- Phillips, L., Rantz, M. & Petroski, G. (2011). Indicators of new depression diagnosis in nursing home residents. Journal of Gerontological Nursing, 37, 42-52.
- Phillips, L. J., Reid-Arndt, S., & Pak, Y. (2010). Effects of a creative expression intervention on emotions, communication, and quality of life in persons with dementia. Nursing Research, 59, 417-425.
- Stuifbergen, A., Blozis, S., Becker, H., Phillips, L., Timmerman, G., Kullberg, V., Taxis, C., & Morison, J. (2010). A randomized controlled trial of a wellness intervention for women with fibromyalgia syndrome. Clinical Rehabilitation, 24, 305-318.
- Phillips, L., & Stuifbergen, A. (2010). The relevance of depressive symptoms and social support to disability in women with multiple sclerosis or fibromyalgia. International Journal of Rehabilitation Research, 33, 142-150.
- Phillips, L., & Stuifbergen, A. (2009). Structural equation modeling of disability in women with fibromyalgia or multiple sclerosis. Western Journal of Nursing Research, 31, 89-109.
- Phillips, L., and Stuifbergen, A. (2008). The influence of positive experiences on depression and quality of life in persons with multiple sclerosis. Journal of Holistic Nursing, 26, 41-48.
- Phillips, L. (2006). Dropping the bomb: The experience of being diagnosed with Parkinson’s disease. Geriatric Nursing, 27, 362-369.
As a registered nurse from 1978 to 1993, Dr. Phillips worked in acute and tertiary care settings, including hospitals, offices, home care, and long-term care. In addition, she practiced as a family nurse practitioner in primary care, cardiology, and long-term care settings from 1996 until 2010. Dr. Phillips joined the faculty of the MU Sinclair School of Nursing in August 2007 upon completing her PhD in nursing at The University of Texas at Austin.
- N3870 - Gerontological Nursing Care
- N7150 - Research Methods in Nursing
- N7120 - Advanced Physiology and Pathophysiology
- N7140 - Advanced Health Assessment and Promotion
- N9410 – Advanced Quantitative Research Methods
- N9550 - Meta-analysis Research
Presentations and lectures
- Phillips, L. J. (March 2013). The anatomy of a meta-analysis. MNRS 2013 competitive symposium, Meta-Analyses of Patient Outcomes, Chicago, IL.
- Phillips, L. J. & Markis, N. (November 2012). Evaluating the Fitbit Motion Tracker® in residential care/assisted living residents. Paper presentation at the 2012 65th Annual Scientific Meeting of the Gerontological Society of America.
- Phillips, L. J. & Markis, N. (September 2012). Using the Fitbit Motion Tracker® to measure physical activity in residential care/assisted living residents. Poster presentation at the 2012 State of the Science Congress on Nursing Research.
- Phillips, L. J. & Markis, N. (August 2012). Measuring physical activity in residential care/assisted living residents with the Fitbit Motion Tracker®. Paper presentation at the 8th World Congress on Active Aging, Glasgow, Scotland.
- Phillips, L. J. & Flesner, M. (April 2012). Factors affecting physical activity behavior of elders in long-term care settings. Paper presentation at MNRS 2012 Guaranteed Symposium, Fidelity to Theory in Health Behaviors Research, Dearborn, MI.
- Phillips, L. J. (2011, Nov.). Self-reported physical activity is associated with physical function in senior housing residents. The 64th Gerontological Society of America Annual Scientific Meeting, Boston, MA.
- Phillips, L. J., & Flesner, M. (2011, Nov.). Factors affecting physical activity behavior of elders in long-term care settings. The 64th Gerontological Society of America Annual Scientific Meeting, Boston, MA.
- Phillips, L. (2011, March). What we know about creative expression in dementia care. The Arts and Human Development: Learning across the Lifespan Conference, sponsored by the National Endowment for the Arts in partnership with the U. S. Department of Health and Human Services, Washington, D.C.
- Phillips, L. J., & Rantz, M. (March 2011). Comparing functional performance with self-reported physical activity in senior housing residents. MNRS Annual Research Conference, Columbus, Ohio.
- Phillips, L. (2010, Sept.). A Comparison of the CSDD and PHQ-9-OV for measuring depression in LTC residents. State of the Science Congress on Nursing Research, Washington, D.C.
- Phillips, L. (2010, April). Effects of TimeSlips, a creative expression program, on emotional and behavioral responses, quality of life, and communication in persons with dementia. Midwest Nursing Research Society Annual Research Conference, Kansas City, MO.
- Phillips, L., Rantz, M., & Petroski, G. (2008, Nov.). Predictors of a new depression diagnosis in nursing home residents. The Gerontological Society of America’s 61st Annual Scientific Meeting, National Harbor, MD.
- Phillips, L., & Stuifbergen, A. (2008, Oct.). The influence of psychosocial factors on disability in women with multiple sclerosis or fibromyalgia syndrome. National State of the Science Congress on Nursing Research. Washington, D.C.
- Phillips, L., & Stuifbergen, A. (2008, March). Two-group mixed structural equation modeling of disability in women with multiple sclerosis or fibromyalgia syndrome. Midwest Nursing Research Society Annual Research Conference, Indianapolis, IN.
Honors and awards
- New Investigator Award, Midwest Nursing Research Society Gerontological Nursing Section (2011)
- Faculty Award for Excellence in Research, Sinclair School of Nursing (2009)
- Outstanding Student Paper, Midwest Nursing Research Society/Western Journal of Nursing Research (2008)
- Outstanding Graduate Student Award, School of Nursing, The University of Texas at Austin (2007)
- Gerontological Society of America
- Midwest Nursing Research Society
- Sigma Theta Tau, Alpha Iota Chapter